TR7 with sprint engine

I have been looking for a wedge lately to run whilst I strip down my TR3a, and so I found myself in Gloucester viewing a car advertised on eBay, Reg NUMBER LOC387X. The car has a sprint engine, can anyone tell me if this is from the factory or a Frankenstein car please. I have heard the story of the 16 press cars and wondered if this is one of them.

Thanks for any advice.????

From memory TR7 Sprint were produced in 1977 so it would have been Speke, and only about 60 of them, usually had KDU & SJW registration numbers so this is likely a TR7 with a Sprint engine fitted probably from a Dolomite or a head change?

You don't need to go for a Sprint or V8 unless you are after performance better than the TR6.

The performance of 2Litre 8 valve can be improved by fitting free flow exhaust and air-cleaners. Then changing to richer needles.

Dave

In the end I plumped for a different car, although the sprint engined car was in good shape, the little boy in me heard a V8 and screamed for joy, so I am now the nervous owner of a slightly rusty but Smooth running 3.5 litre in Carmine Red. Something tells me I am going to spend a lot of time improving it, and lots more smiles along the way.

Arr you weakened. FYI - From March 1980 the red changed to Carnelian Red of which there is little info in the paint listings, like most late Triumph things.

Enjoy.

Dave

Am I correct in that the same colour was also used on Jaguars, and Hondas? I need some touch paint for mine and the name is coming up under those marques, although sometimes in metallic or pearlescent varities.

Not sure if it was the same as used on Jags. It would make sense as both, Jag and Triumph, were being produced by BL. Though the TR7 Carnelian Red was never metallic or pearlescent. Carmine Red is a near match, as is Ford Radiant Red.

Dave