Has anybody else noticed the huge price increase of Shell V Power fuel? Just got back from a run today & a refuel cost me 147.9ppl! I think Shell are calling it 'new' V Power! I am calling it something else! The price for normal unleaded from the same garage was 131.9 so the extra octane is costing 0.16ppl more!

Cheers.

My local Jet station does 97 Oct for 7p more than 95 unleaded and it's equally as good as Shell or BP or Esso, at least my engine cannot tell the difference.

Edited by ChrisR-4A

Yes I gulped when I filled up this weekend!

Where & how much did you pay Ben?

My local Jet station does 97 Oct for 7p more than 95 unleaded and it's equally as good as Shell or BP or Esso, at least my engine cannot tell the difference.

Will look out for it Chris but really my cars perform best on the Shell. One runs on if not on V Power.

My 3a prefers V power. Bl@@dy expensive tastes. I also add a lead replacement/octain booster for good measure !!

I changed from Shell V power to Tesco Momentum in the 6 with PI.

A small saving with no problems in two years also stopped using additive ,which has improved the exhaust fumes.

Fortunately the fuel price up here has`nt quite reached the levels further south. Yet!

Brian

Edited by brian -r

FWIW. Our local garage has just become Esso from Bp but delivery tanker is the same generic one as before.

Used to always run vpower (my local garage is shell) but couldn't find any on holiday. Filled up with gulf (only station near by) and pinking was awful. Retarded the ignition and now runs a bute. Not going back to vpower.

And this is with a supercharger running 4psi!

FWIW. Our local garage has just become Esso from Bp but delivery tanker is the same generic one as before.

Mike,

Fuel distribution is done by a couple of dedicated transporters working for all major oil companies, at least, in Holland.

But I dont think the majors will have fuel from another company in their pump stations.

The additives are specific.

Regards,

Waldi

Where & how much did you pay Ben?

Hi Monty

I can't recall exactly (and receipt has gone AWOL) but it was around £1.45/l I think. PicketPost near Ringwood. My car isn't that picky about the brand as long as its 97RON. I generally use Shell as it's the nearest pump (and the manager is a fan of the car!)

Ben

I switched to the Esso Premium for the competition car this year, as I believe its now the only Premium guaranteed not to have ethanol. Car running well on it!

Alan

I thought BP Ultimate was ethanol free as well.

Run V power on a lot of modiied motors in the past and switched to Tesco finest have to say I found no difference apart from the price!

I wonder at the end of the day if its all the same petrol apart from octane booster been added at the distribution point. A good state of tune helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I switched to the Esso Premium for the competition car this year, as I believe its now the only Premium guaranteed not to have ethanol. Car running well on it!

Alan

Only as long as it has come from an Esso Terminal ;)

Interesting experience (in the Chinese way) yesterday. I built an engine rig, to test crank pulleys, with a 5L fuel can as tank. Made the dip tube from some copper microbore central heating pipe that I had to hand. Its been lying idle over the summer. When I went to restart it the tube was badly corroded, the tank full of flakes of green stuff, and the fuel pump nearly seized, only a dribble, with white 'bits' in what did come out.

Diagnosis. The 5% alcohol absorbed water and formed an electrolyte. Electro corrosion between the copper and aluminium in the pump did the rest.

Scary! Use your fuel quickly! Put something like "Dry fuel" in it between times!

John

I have seen the same thing in a friends Austin 12 which he hast got back on the road. It had not had many drives over the winter, & would not run properly after sitting for a month or two.

Stripping the (alloy) carb, it had a lot of nasty white corrosion products inside. & this was after a thorough clean out a few months before.

The carb is some sort of aluminium alloy, but it has brass (or copper) fuel pipes feeding it.

Since it has had many more frequent runs (now that the owner has gained more confidence that it will not break down !) the problem has not re-appeared.

Bob.

Gents

You do need to use your fuel up quickly, it really does not have a very long shell life. possibly couple of months max before its starts to loose its umph :blink: