1955 TR2 project

Due to my failing health I have come to the sad decision that my hopes of doing anymore work on my TR2 just won't be possible, so it's time for a new owner to take over, so I offer my beloved TR2 for sale.

I have owned the car since April 2002, and used it as my everyday transport for five years. The dreaded rust was by then eating both the body and chassis so I took it off the road for a rebuild. After building a roomy new workshop the work began. Work progressed slowly as I was still working six days a week at that time, but after stripping the car right down to nothing much of it had to be thrown away. A replacement chassis was sourced and repairs made. New inner sill attached and used to jig the rest of the body. It still needs the lower fulcrum pins sorting. Any rusted body metal was cut out and replaced with new, including both footwells, battery box, both floors, middle floor, boot floor, boot sides, wheel wells repaired, etc etc.Girling rear axle fitted but the noisy Lockheed is included. I fitted early disc brakes from a TR3 but include the full drum setup.

The engine is stripped for a rebuild. I have two crankshafts both with standard journals so plenty of life left in those. I found a crack between the waterways in the head, low port, so I bought a replacement. This is blasted ready for reconditioning. H4 cards and manifold, plus a set of H6s with lowport manifold if you can find the Le-mans head.

Very good overdrive gearbox, plus a very good non-overdrive spare. The car is complete with full set of instruments, seats, hood and frame etc

New parts I have stored for the car include a top quality aluminium petrol tank, full set of stainless steel bumpers, stainless wing beading, Valeo/Cibie headlamp units with Osram Nightbreaker bulbs, Plus a few small bits and pieces, all included.

The car is a RHD UK car and still carries its original 3 digit, 1 number registration (non transferrable). I have a British Motor Industry production record trace, plus a Standard Motor Company trace. Full V5C registration in my name.

A few pics below to show the state of play. Not for the faint hearted or inept. Years of work still to do. I expect anyone interested to come and view the car and make a reasonable offer. I am in Shropshire, close to the M54 Telford.

Regards Lespost-1226-0-61514100-1534685036_thumb.jpgpost-1226-0-56006200-1534685275_thumb.jpgpost-1226-0-74755700-1534685134_thumb.jpgpost-1226-0-75707300-1534685495_thumb.jpg

Hi Les,

I too am very sorry to hear you are poorly.

Ll remember being envious of some of you metal working skills in

Photos you showed of your progress on the TR.

Wishing you all the best.

John.

Les that is bad very bad luck I am most sorry.

I remember asking you sometime back if you were a time served metal basher and was amazed to learn that you were self taught. You have done a splendid job on your bodywork and for anyone taking on the project a lot of the really hard work has already been done.

Best of luck with the sale, It may be worth advertising on the Car and Classic site its completely free.

I have unfortunately just sold my TR3A on there due to downsizing. but the advert received over 900 hits and sold quite quickly.

Not yet Phil, I'm disappointed by the lack of interest to be honest, and still no sign of Fuzz and Tim with a trailer! ????

Perhaps if I mention an expected sale price of around £4500 - £5000. I can't imagine a cheaper TR2 than that, other than a rusted-out wreck.

Regards

Les

Sounds far too cheap to me.

Perhaps people were put off by an open ended price, fearing it be too high?

It looks to me that you have done the really expensive stuff - I would have thought ~£10k would be the right ballpark figure.

I just haven't the space, unfortunately.

An alternative approach might be to see what someone like Stuart (If I might be so bold) might charge to complete it, after which you would be looking at a £28k to £35k car. This could then give you alternatives, get it finished and then sell (or keep), or sell it now for ~£30k minus what the additional cost for the next owner might be?

Unfortunately Rod, time is the deciding factor here. I want to sell it to a register member who would complete it for their own use, so someone is going to get a bargain.

Hello Les,

So sorry to hear your news, even though TS952 was sold some years ago as Patsy could no longer ride in her I still look at the register site every week or so. I am certain that your 2 will eventually go to a member that will complete what you started, you have certainly (in my opinion) done most of the hard work.

All the best - Nigel

Les

Hope things are ok

I've tried sending you a PM (not sure you have rec'd it) can you PM me back please I'm interested in your TR2 Project, but would need to cancel another project which is about to start so I need to know quickly.

Regards

Phil