TR4 in build - the Olympic Car

Heres a couple of photos of progress on the Olympic Car.

Its called the Olympic Car as it will be ready for the Olympics. Which one was never discussed!

Anyway, its at the back of the queue behind ongoing race car rebuilds, maintenance and developments, which is what was supposed to happen.

I hope you enjoy looking at these underbonnet pics of the car, I think the standard of work (not mine) is stunning! The rest of the car is just as good.

Im hoping it will be ready to be trimmed in the near future.

Once completed, it will be used for a while to make sure all is okay. Fundamentally, its a brand new car.

I suspect it will be sold early next year although no decisions have been made. Perhaps it will be just too good to let it go.

David

post-2220-0-70869500-1534684518_thumb.jpeg

post-2220-0-58298100-1534684534_thumb.jpeg

post-2220-0-02676100-1534684550_thumb.jpeg

Very nice Dave, what are you expecting BHP wise?

Conrad, still doing the day job full time. Still got loads of TR spares to release into the wider world too!

Monty, the engine is 87mm with a Moss Sprint 88 cam and, as you can see, a pair of Weber 45s. Once the build is finished, it’ll need to go onto a rolling road for final set-up. This will answer your (and my) question as to what the engine produces. It should be sufficient for the proposed use of the car!

Bob, thanks for turning the pics round. Pete, they were the right way round before I posted them......

David

Conrad, still doing the day job full time. Still got loads of TR spares to release into the wider world too!

Monty, the engine is 87mm with a Moss Sprint 88 cam and, as you can see, a pair of Weber 45s. Once the build is finished, it’ll need to go onto a rolling road for final set-up. This will answer your (and my) question as to what the engine produces. It should be sufficient for the proposed use of the car!

Bob, thanks for turning the pics round. Pete, they were the right way round before I posted them......

David

Interesting Dave. My car has 87mm with a Racetorations fast road cam, Webers, lightened & balanced & uprated exhaust system which all gave on the last rolling road session 115 @ the wheels so I guess around 140 - 145 @ the flywheel. I suspect your engine might give a little more.

Cheers.

Looks Good.

Is the steam hose from the to hose to the expansion/pressure tank a tricky mod? I have not seen it done that way before. Usually from the top of the radiator filler point using a plain blanking cap on the radiator. - which is the highest point of the system where the steam will get to.

Peter W

Hi Peter,

It's there, using a special fitting into the top hose (we use the same on our TR4 racecar) in order to avoid the problem of the rad filler neck overflow pipe only being crimped into the rad, rather than welded in.

Other radiators we have had made by Ben Ferguson of Revival Motorsport Fabrications have had the overflow pipe welded in. Ben's work is excellent. His website is http://www.revivalfabrications.com/

David

Hi Peter,

It's there, using a special fitting into the top hose (we use the same on our TR4 racecar) in order to avoid the problem of the rad filler neck overflow pipe only being crimped into the rad, rather than welded in.

Other radiators we have had made by Ben Ferguson of Revival Motorsport Fabrications have had the overflow pipe welded in. Ben's work is excellent. His website is http://www.revivalfabrications.com/

David

Good point about the crimped in overflow tube .... I should say here - well done Pike I was waiting to see who would spot that.

I have seen on a sidescreen car a radiator with the tube welded in the top that was vented/feeding an overflow/pressure expansion tank on the bulkhead. That tank 'T' d into the heater return hose from a bottom outlet - for filling.

Did you consider drilling and tapping the thermostat housing instead of using the compression tapping into the rubber hose?

Thanks for the info

Peter W

• 3 years later...

Just a quick update to say that the 'Olympic' car is now back in the UK. Well, it is an Olympic year.....sort of!

The plan is to sell the car now with a set of beautifully leather trimmed, unused Ridgard seats and a roll of wool carpet to get made into a carpet set that will fit around the roll cage feet. I also have the surrey top headlining for the hard, aluminium centre section. It needs door cards ordering from John Skinner to go with the seats.

If sold now, there is a big discount for the purchaser.

Alternatively, I will retrim the car over the winter and sell for it's full value in the spring.

If you are interested in considering a purchase of this car, do please get in touch.

David

• 4 months later...

IMG_20220302_121804 smaller.pdf

IMG_20220225_134349 smaller.pdf

IMG_20220225_134408 smaller.pdf

The Olympic car has now been retrimmed by Aldridge Trimming and they have done a fantastic job with the leather covered Ridgard seats, surrey headlining and backlight fabric kit, and roll of sage green wool carpet I took them. They made the carpet set from the roll and made the rest of the trim kit, fitting the whole lot.

I'd highly recommend them to anyone.

The car is now complete, and I'm in discussions with Silverstone Auctions to enter it into their next sale, unless someone wants to buy it before that ball really gets rolling........

David

• 2 weeks later...

that is a beautiful car with all the bits you would want.

as much as i love my 3a it is now quite focused for short runs ;), if i was just starting out looking for a great and usable 4 this would be it.

the bits used and the work done will add up to more  than the asking price.

comfy Riguard seats too.

H

With everything which has gone into this car from people who know what they are about, this is a rally usable and quick machine at  a bargain price.

Well done, David.

If I didn't already have something in Powder Blue sitting in my garage, I would definitely be after it!

Ian Cornish