from 2020 we will have no 97 fuel. May be have to run with 95 fuel with 10percent ethanol.

Actually that is the direct opposite of what the consultation paper says Peter. They are concerned that suppliers will concentrate on 97 RON fuel and stop supplies of E5 95 RON.

Quote from annex A - impact assessment protection grade:

"Most petrol stations in the UK offer two petrol grades: the standard grade ‘premium unleaded’ (95RON), which makes up approximately 95% of sales, and a ‘super unleaded’ product of at least 97RON. Without legislation, fuel providers that choose to supply E10 would likely do so as part of their regular offering (i.e. in premium unleaded) and maintain an E5 blend (which can be used safely in E10-unsuitable cars) in their more expensive ‘super’ product. This impact assessment looks at the legislative proposal requiring providers to maintain E5 in their premium, 95RON fuel."

(Blast the 10-minute edit limit. Have to do this as a continuation)

As I read it the proposal is to mandate availability of E5 95RON until 2020 as a 'protection grade' but the concern, and hence the consultation, appears to be that garages do not have enough tanks to store nor pumps to deliver two extra grades of fuel, so something will have to give if the legislation comes into being. I think it is quite likely that a compromise will be made and that 97 will continue to be available while demand exists but it may be E10 only.

It's almost impossible over here to run anything but 10% (or more) ethanol (E10). And our typical octane is 87 (R+M)/2, so about 92 RON in the UK. Our higher octane fuels are about 90-92 (R+M)/2, so closer to 95-97 RON.

My car runs fine on the lower octane. It's not much to worry about, IMO.

I am using Castrol Valvemaster plus because I did not want

to add hard valve seats to the head.

I did see several heads cracked between inlet and outlet and

I am convinced that seat rings might have bad influence on that problem.

Valvemaster boosts octane, too and although I did not bring CR to the limit

I know feel save and have quite a big buffer until fuel knock might occure.

https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/8C4213F43B44980A80257BB8004D3C2F/$File/BPXE-9A62BQ.pdf

• 1 month later...
On 8/21/2018 at 10:54 AM, TriumphV8 said:

I am using Castrol Valvemaster plus because I did not want

to add hard valve seats to the head.

I did see several heads cracked between inlet and outlet and

I am convinced that seat rings might have bad influence on that problem.

Valvemaster boosts octane, too and although I did not bring CR to the limit

I know feel save and have quite a big buffer until fuel knock might occure.

https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/8C4213F43B44980A80257BB8004D3C2F/$File/BPXE-9A62BQ.pdf

Isn't fitting hardened seats the treatment for cracks between the valves?

On 10/4/2018 at 3:20 PM, Andy Moltu said:

Isn't fitting hardened seats the treatment for cracks between the valves?

Hi Andy,

the hardened seats may stop cracking but will not cure it.  If one is lucky  then the machining process may remove the crack but it would have to be small.

Also the hard seat only goes on the exhaust, so any cracking in the inlet then is still there to keep on cracking.

Roger