Triumph TR7 seat upgrade

I am helping a pal of mine freshen up his TR7 and the issue of the awful seats has come up!

Over the years I have cars retro-fitted with seats from MX5's and Fords used. What is the best option these days and how easy is it to do ?? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi there, I'd agree, spend some money on new foam and diaphragms and you'll be pleasantly surprised :D

Well, in my experience, the best place for a TR7 seat is in a skip.

They are notoroius for breaking their back, seat bases collapse, and if your are unfortunate to rear end somebody at speed, pray that the pivot mechanisms don't dig into your hips!

Modern seats are far stronger and more comfortable and durable.

Don't disagree about modern seats, however I have 4 TR7/8's and have owned a further 2 and never had an issue with seats unless the foam and diaphragms are in poor condition, everyone to their own :)

The passenger seat on my MX5 due to being to low is very uncomfortable on a long run. Unlike the driver's it's height is not adjustable. These are leather electrically heated seats.

Dave

After 34 years of TR7 ownership, I can tell that nothing is more confortable than orignal seats in good condition.

Please keep it mind that, if you decide to use different seats, their base must be extremely low, or your legs won't go under the steering wheel.

• 4 years later...

Having just paid the best part of £400 for new seat foams as a replacement for saggy seats in a TR8 that’s been in Australia for 10 years in the hot sun.

Having dismantled the drivers seat, it being worst of the 2. I now find the replacement seat foams are incorrectly cut, badly assembled, wrong contours and wrong foam densities. God knows who made these rubbish expensive items but they are going back to the supplier. Better to repair the originals to keep the seats as they should be.

Cannot believe that suppliers would even sell this rubbish! Do they not use the parts they sell in house?

3766B3CA-6785-4042-BEFC-E916F0861962.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2023 at 6:00 PM, roughground said:

I agree with Phil. I changed my seat covers and diaphragm's and found the seats to much more comfortable. I have MX5 seats on the six and they are as comfortable

+1 to this.  I bought a pair of blue check seats some time back in which the seller had replaced the foam and diaphragms.  The standard seats had always been comfortable but of course this improved them.  I have a NC Mk3 MX5 and those seats are great too.  At 6’ 2” the MX5 seat could do with a smidge more rearward travel whereas the wedge has room to spare.