Lockheed master cylinder

I have just about lost the will to live. On the way home from the Malden show earlier this summer I decided that I must sort out my hydraulics as my brake pedal was creeping to the floor at rest & my clutch was not disengaging fully with maximum pedal travel.

I removed & stripped the master cylinder & found it full of disintigrating rubber. A phone call to Power Track & a new set of seals is on its way. The entire hydraulics were renewed in 1990, & apparantly the seals used then were not silicone compatible so the deterioration is in line with Power Tracks expectation.

I have religiously cleaned & refitted the seals all nicely lubricated on 5 yes 5 occasions, each time I can bleed the brakes OK but nothing on the clutch with no resistance on the pedal. I even renewed the slave cylinder but no luck, on one of the refitting occasions I swapped over the clutch & brake seals but no luck. The bores are both smooth and clean & all tiny holes

I have no idea what to do next, any ideas would be most welcome

Hi Tom

I have tried slightly loosening the first joint at the cylinder & filling the cylinder as much as it would take into the clutch outlet adaptor before another bleed attempt

Keith

My clutch would not work properly until I took it to my local garage. They found that the slave cylinder rod was too short. This was because I had a Lockheed mounting bracket and rod on my Girling system.

Maybe you have it the other way round.

All been well for months/years

Good Luck. Richard

Keith, I recently had the same problem after changing a remote bleed pipe on a slave cylinder.Spent hours trying to bleed the system with no joy.Finally enlisted help of a 'proper' mechanic who ,as Tom suggested, cracked the outlet of the master and applied positive pressure via the master cap.A firm pedal was there instantly.Air had travelled upwards into the master and no amount of bleeding the slave would release it. Errrr...... slight confession it was on a midget.Hope this helps.

John

Hi Tom

I have tried slightly loosening the first joint at the cylinder & filling the cylinder as much as it would take into the clutch outlet adaptor before another bleed attempt

Keith

Try a couple of pumps with the line cracked as with bleeding the slave. (with dot 5 you won't harm the paint). You can often do this alone by pushing the piston rod with one hand.

Tom

Had similar issues bleeding the clutch. Tried everything suggested here with no luck. What I found to work was to create a dummy top plate with a air valve in it. I applied a little pressure with a hand bicycle pump. Once there was some pressure, opened breed screw and out came the fluid. Once you do that problems are gone. I must have spend 2 weeks fiddling with this before I decided to take a new approach. Good luck and let me know if you need more details. Cheers, Mike

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MB93Qt44Y9N5DupZ7

Hi Mike,

I am very pleased to report that your system worked a treat.

I made a plate just like yours with a car tyre valve, a piece of old inner tube as a gasket, and using my battery powered trye inflator compressor it worked first time.

Thank you very much for your help, and to others for their very helpful suggestions.

I am back on the road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again

Keith