TR6 Handbrake improvement

A few years ago there was an article in the mag about improving handbrake efficiency by moving the fulcrum point closer to pivot point on the handbrake lever. I seem to remember Triumph recommended the mod for another model - Spitfire??

What location on the lever should the new hole be (closer to pivot point) be drilled? ( Diagram would help!)

Is this an effective mod ?

MARK

Edited by MARK

Msrk, the mod you mention is very effective, giving more mechanical advantage at expense of more lever movement. The hole centre for the compensator link should be drilled 7/16" closer to the fulcrum pin centre as in attached. Did this mod on my 4A 45 years ago and handbrake will hold on a 1 in 4 (with a good tug!.

Tim

post-9073-0-59140300-1534407837_thumb.jpg

Thanks Tim - This is the mod I remember !

Msrk, the mod you mention is very effective, giving more mechanical advantage at expense of more lever movement. The hole centre for the compensator link should be drilled 7/16" closer to the fulcrum pin centre as in attached. Did this mod on my 4A 45 years ago and handbrake will hold on a 1 in 4 (with a good tug!.

Tim

attachicon.gifTR4A Handbrake, re-positioning of compensator link.JPG

Hi Chaps, A couple of years ago, TRoy, My 1970 TR6 failed his MOT on handbrake adjustment (How unusual...). Whilst tending to this matter, I thought I'd drill the extra hole in the lever for the compensator link (after reading of this mod in TRaction.). Imagine my surprise, then, when I found that the (one & only) hole was already where I was going to drill it, and would've appeared to have left the factory like that! Perhaps it was a of dealer fitted improvement?

Best wishes,

Paul.

Edited by TR Paul