On 12/19/2019 at 10:04 AM, ed3265 said:

Morning all,

Any thoughts on air filters for H6 SU carbs on a race TR3a?

Cheers

Ed

If I had to fit Filters they would be the Biggest KNs I could get onto HS6s, I’m using Dolly Sprint ones with short Stub Stacks inside on a Road Car.

Have you considered Trumpets on their own or maybe build a suitable Airbox with Filter running to front of Car.

2 hours ago, ed3265 said:

Niall, thanks,

I think trumpets probably the way to go as it's purely a race car so not too dusty.

Cheers

Ed

Ed fit open ones and as long as you can fit in. 

My car came with a very coarse gauze. 

The open ones gave me 5bhp. 

Building an air box or plenum with a cold air feed would be in my want list. But space is at a premium. 

7A40BDC3-BCEF-49F7-A94E-DF3C7F7A4226.jpeg

7 hours ago, TR NIALL said:

If you do manage the Air Box use the Stub Stacks inside it.

Agreed. 

Like these. 

https://www.med-engineering.co.uk/ancillaries/stub-stacks/med-stub-stacks

I hope the parts gurus can help you within the forum try posting the want on the 3a forum  

but they are out there 

Triumph TR2. TR3,3a, Windscreen Pillars Used Pair https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F333420880799

Triumph TR2 TR3 TR3A Windscreen Frame Used https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F233350239681

Hamish,

Thanks for replying.

I've been watching those bits on Ebay, was hoping someone would have a complete screen knocking around.

The pillars above are without the stanchion guides, these seem unavailable at Moss and Rimmer. Looking through this website, it seems some never had inner guides?

In terms of progress towards Equipe/fiscar, I've got the H6 SU's, complete steering box system and all 4 wings and front panel in steel. And steel wheels and L's.

Regulations state full width screen, not aeroscreens. I think the safest way to get though the eligibility is to fit a standard screen. Presumably the TR3s type of lower height screen is debatable and expensive?

Don't think airboxes would be allowed, not certain though. Just trumpets for this year.

Hope you've all had great Christmas,

Cheers

Ed

11 hours ago, ed3265 said:

Hamish,

Thanks for replying.

The pillars above are without the stanchion guides, these seem unavailable at Moss and Rimmer. Looking through this website, it seems some never had inner guides

Cheers

Ed

Ed

mine doesn’t have the Stanchion plates. It bolts (x4) to the body, captive nuts.

i have some rubber gasket (old inner tube) on the inner face of stanchion.

bolt on rather than dzus was an original fitting just not sure when the change was. 

Right or wrong it works on my car.

H

14 hours ago, ed3265 said:

Hamish,

Thanks for replying.

I've been watching those bits on Ebay, was hoping someone would have a complete screen knocking around.

The pillars above are without the stanchion guides, these seem unavailable at Moss and Rimmer. Looking through this website, it seems some never had inner guides?

In terms of progress towards Equipe/fiscar, I've got the H6 SU's, complete steering box system and all 4 wings and front panel in steel. And steel wheels and L's.

Regulations state full width screen, not aeroscreens. I think the safest way to get though the eligibility is to fit a standard screen. Presumably the TR3s type of lower height screen is debatable and expensive?

Don't think airboxes would be allowed, not certain though. Just trumpets for this year.

Hope you've all had great Christmas,

Cheers

Ed

One of our members YOW500 Russell on here has made some stanchion plates if you PM him he maybe able to help you.

Stuart.

Ed i will send you a fuller detail re spec, but for now where you are running your car at the moment is the best for it.

For Equipe pre 63 is where i run my 2 and aero screen is ok also for 2020 your engine is fine. Webers or su and suspension steering ok.

When i ran my 3 in gts i had to have a full screen and hard top fitted along with dynamo and standard cast manifold.

The problem may be your fibre glass panels. I am all steel.

Equipe gts are now fia spec and pre 63 will be in 2021so a 1 year gap for people to fall in line when rebuilds are due.

I use trumpets on both sets of carbs weber & su, have filters for both if you want to try them i will send to you. Disguarded on rolling road / dyno

ROY

Thanks Roy,

I'm going to work towards FIA, even if it takes a year or two. I can always do the invitation classes till I get the car eligible for FISCAR/Equipe.

Yes, my car has fibreglass all round. I've got a set of steel wings, need blasting, prepping, paint and fitting. They are the first thing to go on.

I've bought a set of SU's from Andrew Turner, once fitted we'll know what length of trumpets. I know you asked on here a few years ago, inner wing modification to allow Webers - FIA approved? Hopefully someone has a complete diff with casing out there.

I've got steels and L's.

I have now got a full steering box set up.

I have a Quaife LSD fitted. This is not allowed, I'm told. Hopefully someone has a complete diff with casing out there....

That's all I can do this year!!

Thanks

Ed

Edited by ed3265
Grammar

Your right FIA did not like the inner wing being miss shaped to improve air flow. I hoped someone would have period info to help prove this happened in period.

Have seen film of le mans Healey in the day being so modified in the pit lane with a wheel hammer ,but didn't help the appeal .

• 1 month later...

Evening all,

Hope all's well.

I'm getting the final bits on my car together now. 

I had minilites on with longer studs, now going to steel wheels but want to keep the longer studs for when I can use the minilites, any idea on the wheel nuts I need? I have tried searching but end u with too many choices! Need to be open ended nuts or extra long

Cheers

Ed

The standard nuts for steel wheels are open-ended so would be fine on your longer studs provided the thread is standard.

Item 6:

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/road-wheels-tyres-roadside-equipment/road-wheels-tyres-fittings/road-wheels-tr2-4a-1953-67.html

Perfect gents, thanks.

Just need to find some wheel centres now...

4 wings, front panel and boot all steel now. SU's on. Wheels ready to go on.

Hoping to shake down at Silverstone in March with the MGOC. Then Fiscar and/or HSCC.

Just me or anyone else getting excited? Should have grown up by now...

Cheers

Ed

Wheel centres with the steels ?

dont think it has any and you wouldn’t want to race with hub caps ?!

My pic is with TR6 wheels with the hub cap pins. 
I sprint with alloys and sticky tyres and alloys with vredestiens. 

you are so right to be excited :D

2C47A23D-F06A-466B-86BF-BDF005B7B78B.jpeg

Edited by Hamish
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2020 at 6:44 PM, Hamish said:

Wheel centres with the steels ?

dont think it has any and you wouldn’t want to race with hub caps ?!

My pic is with TR6 wheels with the hub cap pins. 
I sprint with alloys and sticky tyres and alloys with vredestiens. 

you are so right to be excited :D

2C47A23D-F06A-466B-86BF-BDF005B7B78B.jpeg

What size tyres are you running in this photo Hamish ? they look good on your car.

Bob.

5 hours ago, Lebro said:

What size tyres are you running in this photo Hamish ? they look good on your car.

Bob.

Hi Bob

these are my road tyres in my first year of sprints.

they are the vredestien sprint classic in 185/70x15.

i had used the sprint classic before and liked their performance and classic look.

i have posted on here a castle combe track day in the wet video (youtube) very impressed with them then.

H

• 2 months later...
On 3/7/2020 at 10:56 PM, ed3265 said:

thumbnail_image2.jpg.fafa2c0acbe5b7ad5db94a674f80fc82.jpg

thumbnail_image0.jpg.2f1f2590de5016d53fcbbb3fcbafc5cc.jpg

Ed, looking at the carbs, is there an overflow pipe missing in both? Also, there's a very recent thread worth looking up that seems to prove with trials and stats that stacks perform better than ram pipes.