• 5 months later...

Evening all,

Hope all's well and cars getting ready. Mines had a fair bit done since Silverstone and nearing completion.

Some advice please.

I'm looking to buy a pair of racing seats. Fixed. Red preferably. FIA approved. Base fitting.

Has anyone any experience with the Cobra Monaco Pro? Or any suggestions?

Cheers

Ed

you will find issues in which ever seat you chose fitting within the roll bar where the wings are at shoulder height. Your chosen one is 550 sparco 520.

Then you have the issue of the seat mounting brackets,the cobra ones have a curve that becomes very close to the cill and prop tunnel.There are some straight ones out there.

You need to be able to take your car to a seat show room and try your choice in it.

Will be very interested in what you find as i need a new seat.     Sorry i cannot be of more help.

PS thanks for your help at silverstone last year.

ROY

Aaaaaaaaggghhhhhhh!!

Bought two Cobra Monaco Pro's and new harness last night!

Roll cage is already in.

I'm not tall so hopefully seat will be forward enough not to foul on the roll cage but not sure about the prop tunnel. Ebay had one left with side brackets for £210. Bought that.

Demon Tweeks are doing them at £210 without side brackets. Bought one from them.

Both will be fitted in next few weeks so I'll know then whether to I've been hasty.

Roy, my pleasure, you have a lovely car.

AS LONG AS YOU KEEP BELIEVING THAT ED YOU WILL BE FINE/FAST

Please keep us informed as to how these fit.Both David and myself are in the same issue solving situation.

ROY

• 3 months later...

Evening all,

Got the car back today, test day at Castle Combe, really useful afternoon. First time there but I'm really just learning to drive that dog gearbox. 

Roy/David, both Cobra seats are fitted, I'm 5'7" and in almost the most rearward place they could fit, they are just about perfect for me. If you're much taller then the roll bar stops them being positioned further back. Feel very upright esp with a HANS device. They just fit under the side bars of the cage.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them.

Cheers

Ed

• 1 month later...

First race of the season next Sunday 7th at Castle Combe. 

Invitation class with the MGOC.  Gulp! I'll be the only Triumph there but the old rivalries are in the past, I hope.

Roy - did the photos help? It's difficult trying to photograph the mountings.

Cheers

Ed

Good luck Ed 

and enjoy :D

ps don’t forget to take a few pics to share on here. 

Edited by Hamish
Added ps
  • 2 weeks later...

Now how do you upload a video?

Had a great day, was made very welcome by the MGOC.  Seems the commentator had a fixation on this car, was told he spoke more about it than any other. Obviously I couldn't hear him.

What a great track at Castle Combe!

I got quicker and quicker, down to 1m 30s per lap by end, not too shabby for a novice.

Car was just lovely once we got the isolating switch fixed and thru' scrutineering. I pulled out of the first race as car was getting hot, only to find that all the cars were due the weather! Second race was superb.

Mixed grid was a bit disconcerting, some very quick modern MG's were hammering through.

Found the love for this car again, next stop Silverstone early August

Happy days!

Ed

14 minutes ago, ed3265 said:

Now how do you upload a video?

Ed

Ed

i up load my videos to YouTube to share them.

may be it’s possible by a Dropbox or OneDrive or similar ??

Edited by Hamish

Hello ED

yes got the photos.

look forward to seeing them in person before deciding. 

Perhaps Silverstone  early august,do you mean the Bentley meeting ?

ROY

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Evening all,

Got down to a 1m 14s at Silverstone, I'm pretty happy with that.

I'm going to try and get a near full season in with CSCC next year, I think, but then again I may end up doing the 'invitation' races locally again. 

I'm planning on converting the car to Equipe/FIA spec over the next year or two. I've got steel wings to be prepped and painted. Any recommendations for a sensible body shop in the Midlands?

I know my bushes will all need changing and some of the suspension bits removed. I've currently got a steering rack so will be looking for a steering box. If anyone has a box lying around, please get in touch. Also if anyone wants to go down the rack route, we could swap? My set up is has only done 4 races from new. 

Do you know if the TR3a was ever homologated? 

Any advice would be very welcomed.

Cheers

Ed

• 3 weeks later...