Evening all,

Just saying hello before I start asking (probably dumb) questions.

I've recently bought a TR3a reg number LVS 499. Ex Mike McKenna, ex Barrie Carter and poss a few more.

Last did any sprints/hillclimbs in 1996 (yellow Tr7). Was in The Army back then. Not long out, so thought it time to start again.

Anyway Barrie somehow got me to agree to enter the Bentley Drivers Club races at Silverstone last month, got my race licence a week before the race. What a great Day. Family loved it too which was a surprise. Met a good bloke in a TR4.

I'd like to enter Donington in September and finish the year at Castle Comb in October.

Was sad to find out the Tr-Register race series had been lost a few years back. Which race series do the Tr's now enter mainly? CSCC, FISCAR?

Also, how do I find out which hillclimbs are scheduled?

I've got Yokohama's on at the moment, 205/60R15 A048 on minilites. I'll need Dunlop L's and I've been told they'll be 550 L15's. Right?

Anyone know the car? I think it was well known at one time.

Thanks in advance

Ed

Edited by ed3265

Hi Ed.

Welcome to the TRR. And the comp section.

I take it this is your car

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/76608/1958-triumph-tr3a

I think a lot of the circuit racing TRs are in Swinging Sixties etc.

That are a few on here that do the circuits. And I am sure they can help.

As to the club sprint and hillclimb champs all the info is here.

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/motorsport

You would be more than welcome.

I dont seem to be able to post pics at the moment. But look here our sponsors site to see a few of the gang at Shelsley Walsh around me and my car. Trying to support a pancreatic cancer charity

https://www.revingtontr.com/news/2018/aug/13/shelsley-walsh-hillclimb-august-2018

Also here for a gallery of all at Shelsley

http://www.trackactionphotography.co.uk/gallery_635046.html

See you back here soon.

H

Ed,

Welcome. I remember Mike McKenna though I thought the car was BRG when he had it. He also raced a TR4 and a TR6 at various times. His TR6 still races in the CSCC Swinging 60s series, now owned by Phil Lambe from Essex.

As Jon has said above, the TR3A would fit into the CSCC Swinging 60s series on AO48s. In fact the Yokohama supplier, Adams & Page, are title sponsors for the series. I note in the Racecarsdirect photos that Hamish has posted the car has CSCC and S60s decals on it. The S60s regs are quite simple and the club is very welcoming and organise well run events.

The car would, I think, need to be fitted with a full cage rather than just the rear roll hoop but you should check on that before you go ahead. It may circumvent that requirement because of its' age, so don't take my word for it.

I don't know where you are based but the S60s are racing at Brands Hatch this weekend on the full GP circuit. A full grid of 46 cars and 10 reserves, including 3 x TR6, 1 X TR5, 1 Spitfire & 1 Vitesse. If you are interested come along and watch and come and talk to the drivers in the paddock and the CSCC officials who will be on duty.

If you can't make this, we're at Donington on Sat 15th Sept and Mallory on Sun 7th October.

As an alternative, the car would fit into the Equipe GTS pre 63 series. I'm not sure if they run on Dunlop Historics or Avon ZZs.

Let us know if there is anything else you would like to know

Dave McD

I can help with the car's early race history and its participation in the TR Register Race Championship.

The car was prepared for racing by Racetorations in the mid 1990's for James Prentice, a gentleman farmer and garage proprietor from the Cheltenham area. He entered the 1996 championship in the Roadsports class where the car was very competitive and despite not doing a full season he finished 2nd in class and was the quickest car in his class by quite a margin. We did not see the car again in James Prentice's hands as he bought himself a lightweight E-type and presumably sold the TR.

Mike Hazlewood acquired the car in about 2000 and raced it in our championship only occasionally as his other race car, at that time was a quicker, more modified TR4. Mike Mckenna acquired the car from Mike Hz in 2005 in a deal that involved his very quick, modified TR6 which had been badly damaged in an accident with my TR5 at Oulton Park in 2004. Mike Mc only did a couple of races with the TR Register in the car as well as some Thoroughbred Sports championship races before retiring to Spain with the lovely Graciela and leaving the car in the UK to be sold in due course.

I think it will need quite a bit of work before it would be eligible for Equipe GTS or HSCC but the CSCC Swinging 60's is a great series and you already have the tyres for it! Just make sure you get your entries in early as they are nearly always over-subscibed.

Mike Hughes

Hello Gents

Thank you, all very helpful.

I think I'll stick to CSCC, keeping it simple. I just need practice in the car this year and next.

Thank you Mike, I remember your name from the early 90's when I had a BRG TR7 with a near white interior. I knew it was a well known car but didn't know who had it when.

HamIsh, yes that's my car, lovely isn't it! I am biased.

Dave - the roll cage extends inside to the front and all round the cockpit.

I got a set of steel panels with the car, it has GRP on at the moment.

Down shifting a dog box - black art? Hopefully I'll find it easier with practice.

I'm in Worcestershire and we're away for a couple of weeks now so hope to meet up with you in Sept/Oct.

Be gentle fella's, new to racing and I'll try not to get in your way on the track!

Many thanks

Ed

Be gentle fella's, new to racing and I'll try not to get in your way on the track!

Many thanks

Ed

simple rules:

1. drive your line, we'll find our way around you

2. be predictable

Exactly what I was told on the ARD as well as mirrors.

Ive got 205/60 R15 A048s on at the moment.

Would you know what size rims (15 5.5?) I need for 550 15 L section Dunlops. Any offset?

Ill be at Donnington. Then going to Castle Combe as itll be Barries last race. This year at least as hes only 77.

Thanks all

Ed

Exactly what I was told on the ARD as well as mirrors.

I've got 205/60 R15 A048s on at the moment.
Would you know what size rims (15 5.5?) I need for 550 15 L section Dunlops. Any offset?

I'll be at Donington. Then going to Castle Combe as it'll be Barrie's last race. This year at least as he's only 77.
Thanks all
Ed

Welcome Ed

yes know the car well as i used to share the drive in 2 driver races with the then owner.

The roll cage is fine as i have the same in my FIA TR2 .

Yes cscc swinging 60s is great but you will be put in with the 6 & 8 cylinder cars in group 2 due to my success in a TR4 3years ago which is a shame. The group 1 4 cylinder car class would have suited your car well.

The PRE 63 Equipe races are where i run my 2 and is also a great set of people and races. For this you need DUNLOP Historic tyres which just cost me £1050 for 4 so you need to think hard to where you want to go.

The entry fee is higher for this series but they have taken in some european races this year.

Re your wheel question i use TR6 wire wheels in this series

Any more detailed info pm me and i can give you my contact details

ROY

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Roy,

I've sent you a message.

I've sent the application for Donington 15/9/18, I'll come up for the day even if I don't get a spot on the grid.

Going to try and get a last run at Castle Combe if I can in October.

I need to get a set of rims for the set of L's that I've got. 5.50 L15. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Ed

You will have to look at the sitting degree angle you need. You dont want to buy one to be used in a single seater !!

Also make sure you have (in date) Hans compatible harness. Thinner shoulder straps I think.

The Simpson style hans is the least popular I think.

H

Hi Ed

CSCC hans is optional as is for EQUIPE . Don't know about AMOC

I will not be at Donington as after surgery in june i am not supposed to drive

will talk sometime as quite a bit of early info re your car.

ROY

Edited by roy53

Not looked at that section in a while as I dont need hans in my car for sprints etc. but I am sure the MSA blue book would give you some pointers and possibly diagrams.

H

Evening all,

Any advice re HANS?

I'm guessing everyone wears one? Any recommendations? My helmet has the posts.

I have a space on the grid at Donington with CSCC, and at Silverstone in October with AMOC.

Cheers

Ed

Hi Ed,

I can confirm that you don't NEED to have one for the CSCC swinging 60s at Donington.

So it's personal choice if you WANT to have one.

I decided to buy one earlier this year and went for the Simpson hybrid device having tried both that and the more conventional type, based on trying both in a sample seat at the Race Retro show. The more conventional type felt like it was pushing my head forward where it sat against my race seat headrest.

I've only worn it twice and frankly I'm not too keen but I'll persevere as it's probably only a matter of time before it become compulsory.

If you're going to be at Donington and are prepared to wait until after that before you purchase, you can try my Simpsons hybrid on for fit.

Dave McD

Don't stint on safety - Hans may not (yet) be mandatory, but if you need any convincing do a youtube search for "hans" - you will be convinced - as Dave says, it takes a little getting used to, but with the right seat and device you'll soon learn to love it!!

Edited by alan57
  • 2 weeks later...

Sad news at the end of Donington. I only heard yesterday.

Condolences and prayers

Ed

Ed

This sounds ominous, can you elaborate?

H