Best suspension mods for a TR6

Hi all

I was out in the 6 today and, even accepting poorly maintained road surfaces, I still feel the ride should be a bit smoother.

The car is currenty on standerd dampers and I am seeking advice on what would be the best alternative.

i was thinking of uprated lever damper arms (available via Moss). I don't realy want to spend too much.

Any ideas?

Best Regards

Ernest

Thanks Roger

Problem being that I am not sure whether springs or dampers - If it helps, the car is fairly stable and comfortable on smooth surfaces but 'jolts' a bit on a small pot-holes or over a drain.

What would be an improvement in terms of overall -springs and dampers set up?

Ernest

Hi Ernest,

if you know what springs you have then you could take a gamble and fit something a little softer.

The strut type damper can be adjusted but it has stiffness in the rebound direction - this could easily add to the discomfort.

But I would have thought the spring would be the first point of interest.

The lever are damper could have its oil change to allow a softer action

The Moss Webcat shows the standard spring at 350lbs with uprated at 390lbs. I'm sure there are plenty other combinations as well.

Have you had a good look at the rear suspension for anything broken or seized.

Are the dampers working OK.

Roger

I was surprised by how much the ride of my TR6 was improved by new drive shafts. The old ones didn't seem too bad, but there must have been enough friction in the splines to stiffen the ride.

The back end simply feels more compliant and comfortable with the new shafts. I fitted the updated UJ shafts from Classic Driving Development, not the CV joint version.

Nigel

Roger, Simon, Nigel

Thanks very much for mix of useful advice and observations.

The car is due for asevice qyute soon so I will have a chat with Andy Child at

Rees Bros and get them examine the current state of the rear suspension and

see what they suggest - it seems that there are various options.

Ernest

Hi all

I was out in the 6 today and, even accepting poorly maintained road surfaces, I still feel the ride should be a bit smoother.

The car is currenty on standerd dampers and I am seeking advice on what would be the best alternative.

i was thinking of uprated lever damper arms (available via Moss). I don't realy want to spend too much.

Any ideas?

Best Regards

Ernest

Hi Ernest!

Are you certain that your problem is not with the rear springs going soft?

Triumph had a number of goes at the rear spring ratings. I think it was 4 attempts. TR6s suffer from spring whine up which in the end causes the spring coils to go soft. Then you get the sagging rear end which many TR6s suffer from. Years ago, I used ones from SAH which were rated at 395 ibs/in. and gave the same height as the originals they lasted over 40 years, before going soft. I have now replace them with Moss's equivalent. No problems so far and I have adjustable telescopic shocks, which means that you can fine tune your ride.

Bruce.

Hi Ernest,

I'm guessing you have rubber bushings all round.

If not, that's what I suggest fitting to soften the ride. I've got poly in one and rubber in another and prefer the rubber. ( TRF supply quality ones FWIW. )

With everything tight and set to proper specifications the handling is quite satisfactory with rubber ones.

Cheers,

Tom

Lots of possibilities, Andy at Rees Bros should be able to identify what you currently have and therefore what would be appropriate to make it more compliant.

I have a fully polybushed suspension setup, with thick front and thin rear ARBs, and racetorations tele rear shock conversion.

The car handles really well but it is jiggly/uncomfortable over broken surfaces.

Sometimes i wish it was more compliant, but then i fine a smooth bendy road and change my mind

Steve

I too have polybushed and rebuilt the TR suspension with adjustable shocks all round. It certainly feels less rattly and more predictable. But, don't expect lotus Elan like handling. In the end the TR is a heavy old beast and as many have said it can have road holding, but superior handling is probably not it's forte.

If I want nimble handling I jump in my midget!

Hi all

Thanks again for this useful 'flow' of helpful information - it feeds into my intended discussion with Andy.

I had a new 6 back in the early 70s and i don't remember any issues with suspension - but then my back was considerably younger!

Ernest