Satnav mounting. Has anyone thought...

Hi chaps,

Have been preparing bits and bobs around the car for the upcoming Round Britain Regularity Run. One thing I have been thinking about is where to mount the satnav (google maps on my phone). In the past I have stuck a mounting on the windscreen, but given the small size of the windscreen this always obscures some of the view. There is also always a chance of the mounting falling off at a crucial point (usually at night on the wales leg!).

So....

I was wondering about making a mounting that fitted in place of the ashtray. It is low down but in direct eyesight an should be more stable.

Anyone ever done this?

I thought I would trial something i wood and then perhaps get it 3D printed..

Cheers

TIm

Hi Tim,

I used to have mine attached to the centreline of the windscreen just above the dash panel.

However you should have anything attached to the glass itself - apparently.

My chum Robin showed me where he put his - attached to the glove box door.

This attaches very well but it means you have to take your eyes off the road to see what is going on.

I have now made a bent piece of stainless that is anchored by the windscreen centre lower fixing.

It has an angled face that the satnav sucker plungers onto. The lower edge of this angled face just touches the dash top to stop it vibrating.

Being just to the left of ones eyesight it is easy and quick to see the information and the road ahead.

I'll take a pic later on to show you.

Roger

Tim.

I wired in a cigarette socket into the glovebox from which I took a usb lead that fed out of the glove box and behind the dash and terminated into the ashtray via a grommet from below. This way I can lift up the ashtray lid and the cable pops up (when sat nav isnt used then the cable is hidden). The sat nav mounts on the screen just above the ashtray.

I can send a photo if interested.

Cheers

Dave

I have a ram mount built into the ashtray

Used an old ashtray, bolted on an aluminium plate and then the ram mount.

Works very well, nice and stable, and instantly romovable for the ‘classic look’

Steve

Tim,

I will take a photo of mine tomorrow if you want.

I have a TomTom 6200 it has a large 6" screen, I had problems with the sun on the screen when attached to the windscreen making it hard to see, there was no spare space on the dash and it is too large to have in front of the small windscreen, so I mounted lower down in front of the heater controls.

The TomTom mount has a 10mm ball joint as a mounting so I bought a 10mm ball on a M10 bolt. I removed the H frame passenger side top bolt and replace with a short length of 10mm threaded bar and fitted one of the long joining nuts on the passenger side of the H frame and a nut under the dash. The 10mm ball then attaches to the joiner nut and the TomTom dock clips onto the ball.

It sounds more complicated than it is!

The TomTom sits in front of the heater controls, but they can still be used with the unit in place., it is out of the sun, it is firmly in place and could never slide along the dash and out of the open window. It only needed a short power cable resulting in tidy wiring not trailing over the dash and around the passenger's legs. It is also close enough to be reached by the driver if needed.

Cost was a couple of pounds and it took about 20 minutes to fit. No holes have been drilled and the fixing can be removed and the original bolt replaced in minutes.

Alan

Tim,

I have a Garmin satnav which has a beanbag mount that doesn't slip or slide off any dashboard surface. I have used it in hire cars in the US and Europe and it also get used in my wife's BMW Mini. This year I tried it in the TR when we went to International and I have to say that despite being positioned under the rear view mirror it wasn't overly obtrusive. My power take off is mounted in the centre of the radio blanking plate.

cheers

Derek

post-1290-0-47891300-1534279717_thumb.jpg

Roger, looks very nice. Like the idea of the charging socket coming through the ash tray as well. Very neat.

Food for thought.

Tim

Hi Tim,

to take it one step further.

I need to renew my top dash pad and have been considering cutting a square hole in the pad and plenum area to accommodate the satnav.

This would have a hinged lid on it when not in use.

Keeps the satnav out of sight when parked and the wires out of sight when in use.

Something like the TR6 ash tray.

Roger

Hi Tim,

to take it one step further.

I need to renew my top dash pad and have been considering cutting a square hole in the pad and plenum area to accommodate the satnav.

This would have a hinged lid on it when not in use.

Keeps the satnav out of sight when parked and the wires out of sight when in use.

Something like the TR6 ash tray.

Roger

With your skills Roger why not make a mount like the moderns have so when you switch the ignition on it raises up out of the dash top.

Stuart.

Has anyone used the mountings that slide out of the radio position and pop/fold up when powered up instead of rising out of the dash? Some modern cars come with that function but I dont know which, and if possible that would be the option I would chose

Ian

I have done the same as Dave (Ardvaark) - the suction pad is still prone to falling off the screen so I also use a pad on the dash as a backup to prevent it falling into the footwell

[url="https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Car-Dashboard-Anti-Non-Slip-Grip-Phone-Sticky-Holder-Pad-Mat-GPS-Sat-Nav-Holder/222810163026?hash=item33e0854752:m:mmCOfK_2gCDDPkqvHBpIDXA" or similar

Edited by B Fitzpatrick

I have done the same as Dave (Ardvaark) - the suction pad is still prone to falling off the screen so I also use a pad on the dash as a backup to prevent it falling into the footwell

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Car-Dashboard-Anti-Non-Slip-Grip-Phone-Sticky-Holder-Pad-Mat-GPS-Sat-Nav-Holder/222810163026?hash=item33e0854752:m:mmCOfK_2gCDDPkqvHBpIDXA" or similar

But you still can’t find your way to Dublin from Clane.

Here is mine. It is in the only position I could find where it did not obscure any gauges, was out of the sun's glare, and did not block the windscreen. It does not interfer with legs, and there is a convenient fixing bolt.

Alan

post-13239-0-16132900-1534410659_thumb.jpg

post-13239-0-05557100-1534410675_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

OK so was playing around last night...

managed to produce a half decent mount for my Samsung phone using two magnets and some bits of foam.

One magnet fits on the lid of the ashtray and sticks atracts the back of the phone.

The second fits behind the lid holding it open

And the two pieces of foam help stop the phone sliding off the magnet on tight turns (belt an braces).

Cheers

Tim

post-9977-0-08406000-1536044853_thumb.jpg

post-9977-0-24677500-1536044868_thumb.jpg

post-9977-0-66108800-1536044883_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the photos being on their side!

A mod i made for my car was to remove the rheostat from the centre of the dash and replace it with a 12 v socket. it looks as it if it was always there and provides a much better way of providing power to charge my phone , sat nav etc. i did once toy with the idea of making a new dash board up to take a sat nav screen where the 4 auxiliary dials went and place those in a pod where the ash tray sit but the eyeline for the sat nav is better placed on top of the dash.

hoges.