TR7 Condenser.

Having broken down 3 times on the Vallies and Villages rally earlier this month we finally waved the yellow card and came home care of a relay truck.

This was to be the proving run for the newly finished re-build but the trouble started with less than 200 miles done.

Despite Rogers help and parts the car just would not run smoothly.

The AA man being old school even rigged up an external condenser but still no luck.

Now home we have gone through all the components one by one, rotor arm, points, cap, leads, coil and the culprit the condenser.

The one on the car was supplied already fitted by the distributor re-conditioner. Swapped out for a Lucas branded item the problem was solved.

I wasn't quite sure what went into a condensor so we opened it up to find no more than 2 strips of silver foil separated by a strip of clear plastic all rolled up and sealed in the metal shell.

I have attached a pic of it now unrolled.

What a lot of trouble for such a basic thing.

post-4219-0-35426300-1534194222_thumb.jpg

....and the condensor on a TR7 is so easy to change by the roadside....not!!!

Fit an electronic module inside the dizzy and throw the condensor away.

Yo missed a very good run.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

I have many NOS Lucas condensers in stock, they last very, very long.

New repro are crap, as are points, rotor arms,......

If you decide to follow the electronic ignition route, use a Lumenition Optronic, Nothing else, it will last forever, and your car will run smoother than ever.

Hi Chris,

I use the Lumenition Magnetronic. The first one lasted about 3 or 4 years and died (I think at a cost of £60)

The second one is running well 15 - 16 years now with no adjustment. (£70). I have a spare just in case (£80) and points etc.

The SimonBBC items on Ebay are much cheaper and appear to do well.

Roger

To be honest Roger, the hall effect systems are, most of the time, awfull crap, and do not last long.

Lumenition Magnetronic is the only one who might be reliable, but my own experience, as you know based on hundreds of Triumphs, tell me to choose between NOS ignition parts or Lumenition Optronic, nothing else, if I don't want to fix it on the side of the road…...