Gearbox and overdrive oil

Hi All

How often should gearbox and overdrive oil be changed and which is the best oil for this ?

I used EP80/90 GL4 type for 44 years before a rebuild when the lay shaft bearings started to wear through the hardness layer on the layshaft. The usual fault with the TR gearbox! I have continued to use this type of oil. Some of our Group used 20/50 engine oil only to find that it produced a white froth which blocked up the oil ways in the O/D. then required a full strip down and ended up with very red faces as they had always decried the use of hypoid oil which BL recommended! So the choice is yours? Note : Even the gearbox guru is now not certain about the use of engine oil?

Bruce.

I've always used Redline MT 90 which is a synthetic SAE 75-90 , GL4 oil.

I don't use GL5 oil due to the horror stories about it and brass/bronze components that were around 20 or so years ago. I do use GL5 for the diff due to the sliding forces on the hypoid gears.

Mike,

Have used MT40 in other gearboxes. Did you compare with standard EP? Does it improve the 3-2nd gear change?

One of the reasons I used the MT-90 was to stop the baulking when selecting 2nd gear that occurred when using GL4 mineral oils- this was greatly improved.

I was tempted to try non detergent SAE 30 engine oil to stop this baulking but it seemed a step too far.

Depends on the mileage and weather the car is stored outside in frosty climes (condensation in gearbox).

My car's a low annual mileage , stored in a garage vehicle. I do an annual level check and a change about once every five years. If you have an A type overdrive check the filter and magnetic plug -it's amazing what that plug picks up.

I used 30 wt non detergent oil in my j-type overdrive that was working fine-supposedly a recent rebuild when car was purchased. I have now pulled it and am having to do a rebuild due to the layshaft bearings and thrust washers disintegrating quickly. I will not use 30wt ND oil, nor any non factory recommended lubricant again. Irrespective of what the various forums suggest! YMMV