Window winder knob

All,

Here's a new one for me: the knob has come loose on my passenger (RHS) window winder handle - in fact, Jan found it in her footwell while we were out on a tour of the wild backroads this weekend.

There isn't anything (obvious) that should hold it on to the arm part - is it just peened over a bit to stop it falling out, or...?

I'd rather do a 5-minute fix, if possible, than buy a new one for 16GBP-ish. Anyone done this or have insight?

Thanks,

Tim

Hi Tim,

basically yes, just not much more than an interference fit, there is no 'Extra'

to peen back that I can see.

Did have the thought that you could carefully countersink the handle to make

a dish that would then allow you to peen the pin back, or there is always the epoxy - araldite/jb weld way to go.

John.

Thanks, John.

Now that I've pulled it all apart, I can see part of the problem: the black plastic knob was actually "seized" onto the metal spindle (due to old age, crud, whatever - I know the feeling :blink: ). This meant that the only way for the knob to turn was for the metal spindle to spin in the arm which made it just loose enough to come off.

I've cleaned the spindle and the inside of the knob, so now I'll add some nice teflon lube and put it back together finding a way (probably glue) to hold the spindle-y bit in place.

Not quite up to RogerH's standards (I have no doubt he'd turn up a nice, new aluminium knob, and some clever, one-piece arm thingy all beautifully made and drilled for lightness, or something), but it should work for a while..

Still have to deal with the oil leak at the back of the engine, clutch friction plate, new rear leaf springs, probably a gearbox rebuild...but I will do (some of) that once the gravel roads have snow on them...

Cheers,

Tim

...............I'm definitely listing.

As for the handle, it would go in a box for another day and I'd buy a new one.

I have a decent supply of unobtainium bar stock that I make rare hings from. eg. TR4/4A sunvisor bracket end knobs.

Roger