• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 iani

iani
  • TR Register Members
  • 157 posts
  • Cars Owned::'69 TR6

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:36 PM

Does anyone know of a source for the cover gaskets for lever arm dampers? I know about reconditioning services but I havent seen anyone selling the right shape gaskets for TR6 dampers. I want to clean mine and try some updated fluid before I have them reconditioned, Id rather have new gaskets available if possible.

#2 SeanF

SeanF
  • TR Register Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:55 PM

People have made their own by using the top as a template and tracing them out in cork or paper gasket material

Many thanks.

Sean

#3 hot-growler

hot-growler
  • 98 posts
  • Cars Owned::various

Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:38 AM

I have just made my own.. really need a small hole punch for screw holes. you can buy as a set very cheaply and a sharp blade.

#4 astontr6

astontr6
  • TR Register Members
  • 947 posts
  • Cars Owned::1973 TR6 from new.

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:47 AM

Does anyone know of a source for the cover gaskets for lever arm dampers? I know about reconditioning services but I havent seen anyone selling the right shape gaskets for TR6 dampers. I want to clean mine and try some updated fluid before I have them reconditioned, Id rather have new gaskets available if possible.

In the 1960/1970's I worked for a company called Coopers Mechanical Joints, now owned by Felpro, a US company.  They had the contract from Armstrong to produce these gaskets which were produced on steel press tools in order to give a very accurate clean cut. The original gasket material came from the USA which was unobtainable in Europe as it had to have a high resistance to hydraulic oils. I know that this is not much help but gives you an idea of what is required.

Bruce.

#5 iani

iani
  • TR Register Members
  • 157 posts
  • Cars Owned::'69 TR6

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:35 AM

Thanks chaps.

#6 TRsixchris

TRsixchris
  • TR Register Members
  • 63 posts
  • Cars Owned::1972 TR6 CC converted to UK spec with PI etc
    Previous:
    GT6 MK2 1970 Royal Blue
    GT6 MK2 1970 Red
    GT6 MK1 1967 Royal Blue
    Spitfire Mk3 1970 Saffron
    Cortina 1600E
    Capri 3000 GT XLR
    Lotus Cortina MK2
    Reliant Scimitar SE4a
    Reliant Scimitar SE5a
    Morgan +4 Flat Rad

Posted 17 August 2018 - 03:17 PM

Bruce, A bit off topic butI did my apprenticeship at Coopers in the late 1970's. Slough trading estate had some useful companies then such as Cygnet piston rings where you could get ring sets very cheaply.That combined with free gaskets and 60% discount from Burnham pistons and Bearings made engine rebuilding quite inexpensive.
Chris

#7 astontr6

astontr6
  • TR Register Members
  • 947 posts
  • Cars Owned::1973 TR6 from new.

Posted 17 August 2018 - 03:54 PM

Bruce, A bit off topic butI did my apprenticeship at Coopers in the late 1970's. Slough trading estate had some useful companies then such as Cygnet piston rings where you could get ring sets very cheaply.That combined with free gaskets and 60% discount from Burnham pistons and Bearings made engine rebuilding quite inexpensive.
Chris

Hi Chris!

I was a bit before your time. I started in 1963 and finished my apprenticeship in 1968 and went to work in the Tool Room Inspection Dept. Then became a buyer for many of the components of those gasket sets, then finished up in the Sales office and left in 1977 before the colipase, as I could see the wheels coming off? I still have very fond memories of working there.

Bruce 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users