Brands Hatch Saturday 18th August

The CSCC Swinging 60s series will be racing at the MSVR Brands meeting on Sat 18th August on an 8 race programme on the full GP circuit.

The Swinging 60s have a fantastic entry with a full grid of 46 cars with 10 reserves.

Our Marque will be represented by 3 TR6, 1 TR5, 1 TR250, 1 Vitesse and 1 Spitfire. These will compete with USA muscle cars, TVRs, Lotus (7, Elan & Europa), MG (Midget and B), Healey Sprites, Minis, Turners, NSU - yes NSU, BMW, Cortinas, Reliant Sabres, Datsun 240Z, etc

S60s Qualifying is for 30 minutes at 09-50 with the 40 minute race starting at 15-30.

Well worth a visit. We welcome the support. Full access to the paddock to see all the cars. If you do come make sure to come and say hello in the paddock. Most drivers are only too happy to talk about their cars and welcome questions.

Other races cater for MSVT Trackday cars, Sports 2000, 2 classes of Monoposto single seaters and Bernie's V8s.

Dave McD

May I warn my fellow TR racers to watch out for that yellow Lotus Cortina, No.32?

Now, I'm as aware as anyone that back markers should be aware of being lapped. Being bashed aside by this car, going for the inside line into Druids, as he tried to follow the yellow Lotus that I had made room for, could be a racing incident. But being reported to the Clerk, as he had pushed me into another car was not so acceptable. That car's driver and I had enjoyed a great race up to that point, and we left the CoC in good spirits with each other. I didn't shop the Cortina driver, but went to have a word in the paddock, to ask him to be more considerate of back markers.

His attitude was that it was entirely my fault, I had turned in on him when he was half a car ahead, despite the exchanged paint evidence on his car and mine.

It's this attitude, that the faster car is always in the right, is one that has developed in the twenty years I've been racing. It led to the demise of classic car teams in the Burkitt, as their drivers got fed up with being cut up and damaged by faster moderns, and I'm sorry to see it in SWinging 60s. Motorsport is NOT a contact sport.

That aside, what a great race! I hadn't been on the GP course for twenty years, and as our driver rep. said we may not get a chance to race on it again. It's a great loss to UK motorpsort that it can be used so rarely, thanks to the law's attitude to newcomers who object to noise previously there!

JOhn

Edited by john.r.davies

Hi John, interesting post!

Back in 2011 i was on a trackday on my Ducati Hypermotard at Donnington

All going well until , all of a sudden, i’m on the deck

A suzuki track day special had crashed into the back of me as i turned in to a corner at about 70mph.

Broke my arm and incurred a couple of thousand punds damage to the bike

When i went to see the guy in the paddock he said ‘you turned in on me’ despite the fact he ploughed into the back of me and i never saw him at all until the ride back in the rescue truck!

Finally got over that a couple of weeks ago with a track day at Brands GP, my favourite circuit, had a great day !

This wasnt racing, but seems the same attitude is present !

Steve

And, to make me very happy again, I find that I have a copy of a poster being distributed in the paddock by Bernie Chodosh, of Bernies V8s, another series competing yesterday.

Bernie is promoting a trip to race at Daytona, in the 24 hour race in November next year, and has covered the poster with pics of cars that he thinks will be interested.

And which Triumph has he chosen?

Yay! It's SofS!

post-535-0-04617700-1534679768_thumb.jpg

At £9000 plus travel expences, I fear his flattery falls on stony ground, but is gracefully accepted!

John

May I warn my fellow TR racers to watch out for that yellow Lotus Cortina, No.32?

Now, I'm as aware as anyone that back markers should be aware of being lapped. Being bashed aside by this car, going for the inside line into Druids, as he tried to follow the yellow Lotus that I had made room for, could be a racing incident. But being reported to the Clerk, as he had pushed me into another car was not so acceptable. That car's driver and I had enjoyed a great race up to that point, and we left the CoC in good spirits with each other. I didn't shop the Cortina driver, but went to have a word in the paddock, to ask him to be more considerate of back markers.

His attitude was that it was entirely my fault, I had turned in on him when he was half a car ahead, despite the exchanged paint evidence on his car and mine.

It's this attitude, that the faster car is always in the right, is one that has developed in the twenty years I've been racing. It led to the demise of classic car teams in the Burkitt, as their drivers got fed up with being cut up and damaged by faster moderns, and I'm sorry to see it in SWinging 60s. Motorsport is NOT a contact sport.

That aside, what a great race! I hadn't been on the GP course for twenty years, and as our driver rep. said we may not get a chance to race on it again. It's a great loss to UK motorpsort that it can be used so rarely, thanks to the law's attitude to newcomers who object to noise previously there!

JOhn

John,

Commiserations for your experience yesterday.

I saw the tyre marks on the yellow Lotus Cortina nearside door/front wing in the paddock after the race and wondered what the circumstances had been.

I was myself the perpetrator of a minor "kiss" with another car, for which I accepted responsibility. My profuse apology afterwards was accepted in a Gentlemanly manner, the other driver having been able to finish while I retired wounded so I am maybe not the best person to comment.

Notwithstanding that, I'm not sure that this Forum is the best place to air your grievances. The TRR has no influence over the CSCC race series. If you feel particularly strongly about the incident then the CSCC should be your first avenue of contact.

Dave McD

John,

If it makes you feel any better, the same yellow Cortina nearly took me out at Westfield after he made a ridiculously late lunge for the inside and then lost control...I had to take evasive action to the grass on the outside to allow him to recover without hitting me....he then disappeared into Dingle Dell whilst I recovered from the grass.....and got passed by a couple of cars just to rub salt into the wound.

Still...a great opportunity to race on an iconic circuit...it is so different in the flesh compared with perception from the TV...the gradients and cambers are fantastic!

R

Yes, Roy, it was a great race I had with the Porsche! He pit-stopped after the contre-temps and I lost him. After my pit-stop, the Mini crashed at Druids shortly after, bringing out the Safety Car so although we were only a few cars apart in the queue, we all had to stay in line. Keith Waters and I had a great chat after, re-enjoying it!

Sorry to hear that the Lotus behaved similarly against you, Rob. I didn't put in a complaint, perhaps I should have, but these things are better dealt with in the paddock, when between gentlemen.

But apart from that, as they said to Mrs. Lincoln, it was a Great Race! Yes, I had forgotten how steep is Dingle Dell, and nearly lost it the first time we turned out into the country from the Indy Circuit. That version of Surtees just goes on for ever! My weekend was not spoilt, far from it, I drove home still glowing!

Bests, on to Donington

John