Bosch fuel pump swap

Hi folks, thought id post something about working on my TR...... :-)

I have a Bosch 996 pump that was installed in the 1990s by Racetorations and which works perfectly, can run the car right down to empty without a problem.

Knowing these pumps are NLA i bought one that came up on ebay a while ago, well couple of years ago probably!, and this week decided it was time for a test.

Since ill be messing with the flexible pipes ive bought some new 250psi rated flexible hose, new mounts and clips. Ive also ordered a slightly larger outlet fitting for the pump to better fit the 10mm hose.

Removed the old pump yesterday and here they are side by side.

The old pump is dirty ! But then so would you be after 20 years located just behind the rear wheel of a TR that actually used :-)

I already have a relay and enhanced earthing in the boot, ill renew the foot of wiring to the pump whilst im at it.

Will be interesting to see if the nearly new 996 performs any different from the really old 996

Steve

Steve

I too have a CR with a 996 pump in rear arch which reading the history of the car was installed in the 90's, I am interested to know what you opt for pipework and connections for the installation. I have already uprated the tank outlet, installed a tap and replaced standard triumph filter with Inline replaceable type as shown but think this set up could be improved.

Can you post some images of your pipework set up please

Andy

post-13335-0-59817600-1534072226_thumb.jpg

Steve

I too have a CR with a 996 pump in rear arch which reading the history of the car was installed in the 90's, I am interested to know what you opt for pipework and connections for the installation. I have already uprated the tank outlet, installed a tap and replaced standard triumph filter with Inline replaceable type as shown but think this set up could be improved.

Can you post some images of your pipework set up please

Andy

Hi Andy

Actully i’d like to increase the tack outlet size, where id you buy the fitting?

I was warned against taps as they can restrict flow/leak ?

Presently i’m using disposable systec filters, but as they only have 8mm ‘tails’ this isnt ideal.

One tip though, install the filter vertically, inlet at the top, this then acts as a small reservoir of fuel for the bosch pump, avoids air in the fuel which the pumps dont like.

I’m changing the pump outlet to 10mm so i can then run 3/8 250psi rubber hose to the prv.

Will post pics when done.

As for the brackets, thay came with the pump, the mounting rubbers are sytec.

Steve

One tip though, install the filter vertically, inlet at the top, this then acts as a small reservoir of fuel for the bosch pump, avoids air in the fuel which the pumps dont like.

Steve

Hi Steve,

wouldn't top inlet be dfficult for the filter to self bleed?

regds

Bob

Edited by OldBob