A rather different TR5 prototipo.

The Micheloti drawing of that was in the batch of drawings that sold at Christies some years ago. I bought a lot on behalf of the TR Register and others. It was described as TR5 Prototype and I think the register has it. The drawing is probably 1/4 scale.

Peter W

The Micheloti drawing of that was in the batch of drawings that sold at Christies some years ago. I bought a lot on behalf of the TR Register and others. It was described as TR5 Prototype and I think the register has it. The drawing is probably 1/4 scale.

Peter W

Further to PM's about other drawings that sold. This is all memory stuff so it could be wrong. I cannot find the original sales catalogue, perhaps some out there has a copy.

The Stag Fast Back drawing went to Stag Owners club (looked a bit like a big GT6)

Zoom I think Revington have.

TR3 Dream car was at Moss.

Conrero, Conrero Spider. & Conrero interior dash view went to a buyer from Belgium.

TR5 prototype and Fury I think TR Register Didcot have.

Peter W

Further to PM's about other drawings that sold. This is all memory stuff so it could be wrong. I cannot find the original sales catalogue, perhaps some one out there has a copy.

The Stag Fast Back drawing went to Stag Owners club (looked a bit like a big GT6)

Conrero, Conrero Spider. & Conrero interior dash view went to a buyer from Belgium.

Peter W

That car is known as the Ginerva and was a genuine tr5 prototype, it has a tr5 chassis and a 6 cyclinder 2 litre injection engine with O/D it is a loverly looking car , I was very lucky to be able to drive the car when those pictures where taken at La Morra in Italy back in 2015 , the car is owned by a very nice Swiss guy by the name of Werner , the car although only 2 litre performs well albeit it wallowed a bit on the mountain roads ,

A lucky graham

Further to PM's about other drawings that sold. This is all memory stuff so it could be wrong. I cannot find the original sales catalogue, perhaps some out there has a copy.

Peter W

Might be an idea if the club showed the drawings in TRaction, unless its been done before?

I do remember buying some TR parts from a bloke in Lancashire and in the box was a TR monthly mag, well just a typed out sort of small booklet.

I wrote to the Club at Didcott asking them if they wanted it, and they did so I sent it on its way. I thought they might have put some pics of that in Traction but haven't seen it

as yet, in truth it could have been 30 years ago.

Might be an idea if the club showed the drawings in TRaction, unless its been done before?

I do remember buying some TR parts from a bloke in Lancashire and in the box was a TR monthly mag, well just a typed out sort of small booklet.

I wrote to the Club at Didcott asking them if they wanted it, and they did so I sent it on its way. I thought they might have put some pics of that in Traction but haven't seen it

as yet, in truth it could have been 30 years ago.

The challenge is photographing the drawings.

Most were for clay modelling so are near full size, drawn in pencil on old and fragile tracing paper.

No I do not have any of the drawings now - all were sold a few years back.

Peter W

Way back in 2001 Gerhard Wiederholl and myself with help from Tony Calo did an article on this TR5 prototype for TRacton. At the time we interviewed the owner Werner Baertschi who supplied quite a lot of images and loads of history. Triumph gave it the experimental chassis number X760 and fitted it with a 2 litre PI engine. There is also an excellent article in the 1/68 issue of Style Auto which has many images, a couple of which I have attached. I have also attached one of the Michelotti sketches from the excellent CD of his various prototypes as compiled by his son Edgardo.

cheers

Derek

6569_037.BMP

post-1290-0-73997700-1534101865_thumb.jpg

post-1290-0-10765900-1534101894_thumb.jpg

The long stroke 2.5 might not fit under that bonnet :unsure: .

I think the [ production ] TR5 body is just right for its engine, whereas the Ginevra and Karmann bodied cars seem too modern for it. The former especially would warrant something like a twinkam, e.g. a 6-cyl Lotus type design ( on DCOEs of course ^_^ ).

Tom

Great information, on this prototype, from Graham and Derek, nice stories to go with the pictures.

Ps. The TR5 looks great just as it is today !

Cheers,

Conrad.

Further to the above some great articles on Michelotti are available for download on the "Registro Storico Michelotti" website at http://www.archiviostoricomichelotti.it/rassegna-stampa

A number of the articles include styling exercises on the various Triumph models including the TR5 Ginevra.

cheers

Derek

Warning : Anorak Alert

Ref ##14 - X760 was originally applied by the factory to the sixth 'Wasp' (TR5 ....) prototype, which presumably morphed into the Ginevra (which, incidentally, was shown at the Geneva Motor Show of March1968).

Ref ##16 - Long stroke six-cylinder engines are no taller than 2.0-litre types - in fact all the six-cylinder types (including the 1.6-litre of the Vitesse) are the same height.

Hon. Pres.