Hylomar exhaust sealer query

Assembled my new exhaust using a local CRC sealant a couple of weeks back and immediately had a leak at one joint. I've never really liked the stuff, so looked for an alternative and came across this Hylomar equivalent (the only non-silcon one I could find locally). Being a Hylomar worshiper I immediately ordered a tube from a local supplier at what seemed to be a very reasonable price.

Well, this is why! The stuff was so thick I had to squeeze the tube in the vice to move it by way of the folded end peeling open. A little thicker than ideal, but it was easy enough to apply so on I pushed. With the next squeeze in the vice the tube ruptured, but I really only needed it for this one job so that was not really a problem. The good news is that it seems to have sealed better than the other stuff so I'm happy.

Is this a common problem or did I just get an old tube?

post-14246-0-81288700-1533977438_thumb.jpg

Thanks gents.

The supplier is sending me another tube and he's going to check that it's thin enough to flow. However, the tip re hot water could be useful John if I don't get around to using it for a while.

Roger, I've used Holts products in the past but they don't seem to be available here any longer. Everything is CRC.

Gavin