Best new plugs for a TR4A?

I heard the iridium are good for a clean burn if you spend a lot of time in traffic, or don't drive that often. Also have been told to set the gap to .28 for a hotter burn for the same reason?

I have NGK BP7HS in mine which are recommended for a race engine although my engine is standard. I used to have BP6HS but they are hotter and the car used to run on after the ignition was switched off. Put this down to the hot plugs continuing to ignite fuel after ignition was off. The BP7HS are cooler plugs so this doesn't happen now. Also depends on the fuel you put in the car. I use bog standard supermarket fuel. Make sure you buy from reputable source though because there are fakes out there on eBay.

Keith

I posted this recently on the general Technical Forum under topic "Suspect NGK Plugs".

Since 1993, when 4VC went back on the road, I have been using BP7HS set at 32 thou, because that's what Neil fitted.

I'm on SUs with electronic (Newtronic/Piranha) ignition, and get about 115 HP at the wheels, but even in traffic jams, never seems to oil up - although it hates such conditions and tick-over is all over the place!

The plugs don't seem to erode and I change them seldom, but I remember that (in the 1960s) my old bog-standard TR2 on points used to suffer from erosion of its plug electrodes.

As good plugs are vital for the engine's well-being (and there are but 4 of them), the cost is neither here nor there - but buy from a trusted source.

Ian Cornish

• 1 year later...

Ron, how did you get on with the NGK Iridium plugs.

Peejay, which Denso plugs do you use, their website suggests IWF20 is the replacement for NGK6BPS.?

Chris