TR4 tonneau cover door durable dot positions

Hi all

I am fitting a tonneau cover to my 1962 TR4. There are no durable dots studs fitted on the door tops at the moment and I need to fit them. There are three on each door top and I am looking for the measurements for accurately positioning the six studs. If you have these studs fitted or know the positions of these I would to know the dimension.

All help appreciated

Thanks and regards

Rog

I recognise that there are more important issues around at the moment but if you have a TR4 and a tape measure I would really appreciate your assistance

Regards

Rog

Rog

If you don't have any holes in your doors for the poppers/studs at the moment, why not make them fit your tonneau, and then you will have a perfect fit.

I'm not at home at moment so can't measure, but will do so if you want when I'm back home on Sunday

Cheers

Rich

Many thanks Rich

The tonneau I have does fit the 16 rear lift-a-dots and and the front four studs but it does not lie very well as it tugs at some positions, albeit that the hood fits perfectly. I didn't want to match the tonneau, which I bought second hand, as I may change it in the future, to get a better overall fit and I believe that the door stud position are standard and they wouldn't be if I used my current tonneau for positioning.

I hope this makes some sense and would really appreciate your dimensions before I get my drill out.

Thanks for your assistance

Regards

Rog

Rog,

There may be no exact “standard” position for these... I bought a brand new stanpart door for my car, the holes for the 4a waist trim were pre drilled, but there were no holes along the door top for a tonneau......

I drilled my doors to fit a (believed) original tonneau.... I’ve since replaced it with another with pre fitted studs, and the fit is very similar.

Sorry, I can’t measure my car at the mo, cos I’m in the Middle East, and the car isn’t lol! I am home next weekend if that’s any help...

Regards

Nick

I bought a brand new stanpart door for my car, the holes for the 4a waist trim

were pre drilled, but there were no holes along the door top for a tonneau......

I think the absence of any holes in a new stanpart door

more likely reflects the fact that, for cars with a surrey top,

tonneau fasteners are not fitted.

AlanR

AlanR

Certainly a thought there...

No doubt a simple template that slipped over the door top could have been available to drill the doors of non Surrey cars...

Before or after paint I wonder? Was the car’s finished configuration known at this point in build?

Regards

Nick

AlanR

Certainly a thought there...

No doubt a simple template that slipped over the door top could have been available to drill the doors of non Surrey cars...

Before or after paint I wonder? Was the car’s finished configuration known at this point in build?

Regards

Nick

I reckon there must have been a template, because TR4 tonneaus came

(IIRC) with fasteners already fitted (whereas TR2/3 items did not).

AlanR

The tonneau cover fits my car perfectly. It needs to be stretched a quite a lot when fastening to the most forward of the stud on both doors. My car had the original paint when I bought it so I guess also the original tonneau cover holes. I also think it has the original tonneau cover.

post-2169-0-26626200-1533996407_thumb.jpg

post-2169-0-31275500-1533996433_thumb.jpg

post-2169-0-27476700-1533996446_thumb.jpg

post-2169-0-37708000-1533996463_thumb.jpg

Many thanks for the info Rich, Nick, Alan and excellent pics badhuis.

If Rich and Nick can provide the info for their cars it would be brilliant and hopefully give us a definitive answer.

All replies much appreciated

Regards

Rog

post-10723-0-03392500-1534091295_thumb.jpgpost-10723-0-87291200-1534091314_thumb.jpgpost-10723-0-36613800-1534091363_thumb.jpgpost-10723-0-17636900-1534091432_thumb.jpg

Better late than never, hopefully

I've measured the door studs on my 1962 TR4 which I've owned since 1980 and I believe the doors etc are original as are the stud locations, all of which were re-used when I rebuilt the car in 2012.

Interestingly, at a recent club meet, another member with a 4 had extended front stud tabs under the windscreen - when I queried this, it was because it was the only way to get their tonneau to fit, and they believed their tonneau was original - well theirs wouldn't fit on my car, but mine fitted on the original un- elongated windscreen tabs.

I've always considered my tonneau as original, apart from having the zip replaced, as it is white and the Heritage certificate specifically referred to a white hood and tonneau!

The measurements are hopefully reproduced in the attached photos, but I measured mine from the front of the door, not the recess in the top of it - my measurements (adjusted ) tally with Badhuis apart from the last one so make of that what you will!?? The length measurement is taken from the edge of the door in the centre of the masking tape when the black pointer is - the door curves at this point so hopefully that will locate it accurately.

Hopefully this will help - if you need any further info, happy to oblige

cheers

Rich

Interesting that your studs are so far out on the door Richard, mine are right up against the rubber and yours also have the wider base of the modern repro type.

Stuart.

post-3753-0-26986200-1534150483_thumb.jpg

post-3753-0-82566100-1534150501_thumb.jpg

post-3753-0-18319600-1534150517_thumb.jpg

Stuart

My studs are indeed repros which I fitted when I rebuilt my car in 2012

As for them appearing further out than yours, I don't think this is the case - it just looks like it - your window rubber is different to mine and may account for the optical "illusion"

I have some spare bare doors tucked away so hopefully I can get some definitive measurements/photos off one of those when I have a chance - watch this space

Cheers

Rich

Thanks all

Thanks for the measurements Rich.

One thing for sure my tonneau will not fit the "standard" stud positions.

My plan is to fit studs in standard positions and modify the tonneau accordingly, blanking the old suds as required.

It is not a concours car.

From the measurements supplied and the assumption that the units were originally inches I assume the front stud to centre stud is

9.5 inches and the rear stud to the centre stud is 13 inches. Both sets of measurements agree closely to this.

The variation in the data is the positioning of the front or rear stud relative to the door and the raised profile at the rear.

All three studs are on the flat top of the door.

My doors are 880 mm wide on the centreline of the studs.

The cutback at the front shows a few mm of variance so measuring from the front of the door the front stud would be 150 mm

which puts the rear stud about 0.5 inches before the profile starts to rise which eyeballs about right.

(Cannot find a convenient imperial measurement to pin down the fron or rear stud)

Sorry for mixing the units but hope this makes sense.

I will be looking very closely at every set of studs I see in the future and I'll keep taking the pills

Thanks again

regards

Rog

post-10723-0-84417500-1534257032_thumb.jpgpost-10723-0-19438500-1534257046_thumb.jpgpost-10723-0-23339200-1534257063_thumb.jpgpost-10723-0-62519900-1534257077_thumb.jpgRog

Dug out a bare door and have measured from front of door through middle of holes - measurements are taken from the the top side edge of the masking tape - the holes are 10mm out from inside edge of door gap

Hopefully photos are self explanatory

Cheers

Rich

Thanks Rich

Your 146 from the front ties up very well with badhuis's 65 from the cutback.

I am going to drill the holes as your door.

146 from front

386 from front

716 from front

On the centre line of the studs.

Thanks to all for help.

Long live the forum

Best regards

Rog