Overdrive stopped working

Hi Guys

I have a 1974 TR6 with overdrive on 3rd and 4th. (j type I gues)

All of a sudden my overdrive stopped working. when I switch on the ignition and put the the car in 3rd gear and switch on the OD I do no hear anything happening.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!!

Steven

I don't think there is a relay on a J type, so then next thing would be to check the solenoid, is it getting power?

Is the car A type or j type? If the car is A type it has the relay next to the horn relay under bonnet NS wing / bulkhead. That's the easiest place to start.

If its a J type I would get under the car with a test meter and check for voltage & earth on the two connectors on the solenoid.

After that it depends what you find and whether A or J type.

Alan

Check you haven't pulled the bullet connecter apart with your foot, adjacent to the foot rest on the left side footwell. That was the cause of my inop O/D. (A Type but I expect the wiring is the same.) before you do all the serious stuff.

ken

First: fuse? Then take the car for a drive and select OD in 4th gear. If it responds, most likely a switch problem. Over time, these wear out. Then start tinkering with the spanners as suggested above.

Hallo Steve from NL,

If you have worked under the dash, and the issue developed after that, have a look at the connectors from the wiring that comes from the steering column under tge dash, drivers side. 2 wires are from the OD stalk.

Succes,

Waldi

My OD (J type) shares a fuse with the indicators and the fuel gauge. An exposed wire on the indicator mechanism within the steering column was causing a short and blowing the fuse - which meant I lost fuel gauge, indicators and OD - so a check of the fuses would be my first point of call.

• 3 weeks later...