Overdrive stopped working

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Steven_nl

Steven_nl
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:36 AM

Hi Guys

I have a 1974 TR6 with overdrive on 3rd and 4th. (j type I gues)

All of a sudden my overdrive stopped working. when I switch on the ignition and put the the car in 3rd gear and switch on the OD I do no hear anything happening.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!!

Steven

#2 Mk2 Chopper

Mk2 Chopper
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:53 AM

I don't think there is a relay on a J type, so then next thing would be to check the solenoid, is it getting power?

#3 barkerwilliams

barkerwilliams
  • TR Register Members
  • 1,298 posts
  • Cars Owned::TR6 PI, Stag, Thoroughbred Race Horse, John Deere

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:55 AM

Is the car A type or j type? If the car is A type it has the relay next to the horn relay under bonnet NS wing / bulkhead. That's the easiest place to start.

If its a J type I would get under the car with a test meter and check for voltage & earth on the two connectors on the solenoid.

After that it depends what you find and whether A or J type.

Alan 

People of character do the right thing even if no one else does, not because they think it will change the world but because they refuse to be changed by the world.

#4 ken foster

ken foster
  • TR Register Members
  • 202 posts
  • Cars Owned::classic cars, motor sport, music,food, history

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:02 AM

Check you haven't pulled the bullet connecter apart with your foot, adjacent to the foot rest on the left side footwell. That was the cause of my inop O/D. (A Type but I expect the wiring is the same.) before you do all the serious stuff. 

ken

#5 Menno van Rij 2

Menno van Rij 2
  • TR Register Members
  • 4,094 posts
  • Cars Owned::Owned: Citroen Dyane; 1st gen. Honda Civic; Saab 96 (3x); Saab 99 EMS; Saab 99 Turbo; Saab 90; Triumph Spitfire 1500TC; Saab Sonett III.
    Currently: '59 TR3A; '71 Saab 96; '73 Porsche 914

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:15 AM

First: fuse?  Then take the car for a drive and select OD in 4th gear. If it responds, most likely a switch problem. Over time, these wear out. Then start tinkering with the spanners as suggested above.

#6 Steven_nl

Steven_nl
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:31 AM

is there a fuse with the J type? where is it?

I'll check the connector firsdt. we did some work under the dash and put in new matts on the driver side. 

If that doesn't do the trichk we'll check under the car for the solenoid and the connectors.

Thanks guys!

#7 Waldi

Waldi
  • TR Register Members
  • 862 posts
  • Cars Owned::AR Spider Duetto, TR6, Moris Minor Traveller, MGB GT, XK140FHC, Healey MK2, TR6-PI (CP, 1970)

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:04 AM

Hallo Steve from NL,
If you have worked under the dash, and the issue developed after that, have a look at the connectors from the wiring that comes from the steering column under tge dash, drivers side. 2 wires are from the OD stalk.
Succes,
Waldi

#8 Percy TR6

Percy TR6
  • TR Register Members
  • 275 posts
  • Cars Owned::Rugby, Cars & Beer - not always in that order and not all at the same time!

Posted 09 August 2018 - 01:38 PM

My OD (J type) shares a fuse with the indicators and the fuel gauge. An exposed wire on the indicator mechanism within the steering column was causing a short and blowing the fuse - which meant I lost fuel gauge, indicators and OD - so a check of the fuses would be my first point of call.

Steve
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Drives: 1973 TR6, 2004 Harley Wide Glide and a Passat TDI 170 Estate for taking the dogs in.

#9 Steven_nl

Steven_nl
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 02:10 PM

thanks Percy. everything else seems to work fine

#10 Steven_nl

Steven_nl
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:43 PM

Checked all the wiring and switches. They all work. I guess the Solenoi is broken. Is that hard to replace? As far as I can tell you can turn the Solenoi itself and take it right out. But maybe there is more to it?

#11 Waldi

Waldi
  • TR Register Members
  • 862 posts
  • Cars Owned::AR Spider Duetto, TR6, Moris Minor Traveller, MGB GT, XK140FHC, Healey MK2, TR6-PI (CP, 1970)

Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:54 PM

There is a post called J type solenoid, scroll down a bit.
Waldi

#12 duncan

duncan
  • TR Register Members
  • 541 posts
  • Cars Owned::racing dinghies, club instructor
    TR6 - blue
    good food & wines

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:04 PM

Steven, did you check the electrical connection under the car onto the solenoid ?  That came adrift on mine, suddenly no overdrive.

Duncan

TR6, best towcar for 1970s racing dinghies "be nice to little dinghies"

boat 2m wide, always causes a second look

#13 Steven_nl

Steven_nl
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:24 PM

yep We did. 

#14 Steven_nl

Steven_nl
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:25 PM

There is a post called J type solenoid, scroll down a bit.
Waldi

Dank je!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users