Evening all, I have a 75 TR6 with an intermittent fault on the overdrive in that from cold it operates fine but after a short while it cuts out of overdrive and is generally non operational for the rest of the drive. I have checked the oil which is fine and I'm planning to change the solenoid as Ive not had to change it in 26 years of ownership. My question is, can I change it from underneath the car or do I have to take the seats and tunnel out and go in from the top.

I've changed the solenoid on my TR3 before but this is a different unit and from what I can gather it screws in and then is locked in place with a 25mm ring spanner?

Many thanks

Graeme

Sorry, cannot edit.

I just saw that you have already checked the oil level so ignore my comment. The gearbox top cover interlock switch could be intermittent which would mean the tunnel cover comes off.

Just changed my Stag J solenoid for intermittant operation when hot. Easy to do from underneath - IF you have a spanner that fits, Very little room and needs a thinish spanner, or buy one from one of the usual suspects.

An internet search for "j type solenoid spanner" will bring up lots - all the same but the prices vary wildly.

Once the car is in the air its a 10 minute job.

Alan

My J type had the same symptoms. A new solenoid solved it.

Many thanks for the comments,

Unfortunately I dont have time to buy one of the bespoke spanners that Alan has mentioned as I'm hoping to use the car on holiday (heading off at break of dawn Saturday), Does anyone have any ideas how I may be able to fabricate something suitable, perhaps cut a spanner down?

Graeme

Hi

I had same problem with my 76 TR6 owned 34 years original solenoid although car has had a gearbox & overdrive overhaul.

The fault was caused by the original spade connection on the solenoid was loose. The overdrive worked for a while then cut out. Guess terminal overheated

New spade connector fitted & whilst at it fitted a new earth lead.

Hope this helps

Alec