Commission No. Quandary

Hi,

Following on from a MOT tester entering the wrong registration number into the system and having to sort that out, a possible problem has come to light regarding the Comm No. of my 1962 TR4. I believe that the Comm No. is 'CT9180 O'. However the VIN plate shows CT91380 which also stated on the V5C.

My questions are, how do I convince the DVLC to re-issue a V5C with the correct number without having to change the VIN plate stating that the 0 is in fact an O. Or would I have to get a new VIN plate showing 'CT9138 O'.

Would it be a problem if I left as is. Within the history file for the car CT91380 appears to have been referenced throughout.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Andy

post-12297-0-26949600-1533670822_thumb.jpeg

Hi,

Following on from a MOT tester entering the wrong registration number into the system and having to sort that out, a possible problem has come to light regarding the Comm No. of my 1962 TR4. I believe that the Comm No. is 'CT9180 O'. However the VIN plate shows CT91380 which also stated on the V5C.

My questions are, how do I convince the DVLC to re-issue a V5C with the correct number without having to change the VIN plate stating that the 0 is in fact an O. Or would I have to get a new VIN plate showing 'CT9138 O'.

Would it be a problem if I left as is. Within the history file for the car CT91380 appears to have been referenced throughout.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Andy

Correction to post - I believe that the Comm No. is 'CT9138 O'.

Andy,

As the last documented TR4 was CT40***, then your car can't be CT91380. I would suggest getting the registrar involved, a letter perhaps, and also the Heritage certificate and supply that info to DVLC.

Cheers

Graeme

It is pretty clear Andy that your commission number plate is a replacement. I am sure the original would have had a large gap between the 8 and the O indicating factory fitted optional overdrive, as on my original TR4A comm no plate, see below. It seems the DVLA can't accept gaps, the best I could get was to have my V5C amended to show CTC73369-0. the last time my MOT certificate showed the correct comm no was when it was completed by hand in September 2004. As from 2005 when the computerised system was introduced gaps were no longer allowed and since then all MOTs have shown CTC733690.

post-9073-0-90356200-1533736479_thumb.jpg

Looks like it's a computer says no, not able to compute that in the past the formats of VIN numbers were different.

The DVLA are usually amenable to alterations where you can demonstrate an error.

My Stag's VIN number ended in D when it should have been O for overdrive

Looks like it's a computer says no, not able to compute that in the past the formats of VIN numbers were different.

The DVLA are usually amenable to alterations where you can demonstrate an error.

My Stag's VIN number ended in D when it should have been O for overdrive

Hi All,

Mine changed from an 'O' to a 'D' on the V5 when I moved house one time. It took several months back and forth to the DVLA for them to compromise and change it to a '0'. They gave me a very helpful letter explaining why it was simply impossible for them to recognise an 'O' in their system anymore! I suspect a similar thing has happened to you? I never changed the plates - and never felt I was obliged to. I did keep a record of all the comms. from the DVLA to avoid future confusion - they are now with the new owner.... :(

Anyway, I would settle for an '0' and enjoy driving the car!

Regards,

Michael.

Andy,

My car has its original commission plate. CPxxx0 0.

The man at the Triumph factory used the 0 die for both the 0 and O

On my car.

My old green log book did show the the O for overdrive correctly.

When DVLA started the V5s, my commission number became CPxxx00.

No gaps and no O.

As it matched my commission plate I have left it.

Peter

On my 1962 TR4, a typo in the engine number (one number repeated in error)

on the original green log book that was repeated on the paper form has been

corrected on the latest issued V5.

I'm sure this was done based on the Heritage certificate.

The '0' for overdrive has been recorded as t".0" thereby leaving a small space

although it is a numeral '0' not the letter 'O'.

It would be worth getting the Heritage certificate even if you do not pursue

any corrections.

AlanR