TR6 - Fitting new left hand dash crash pad

While I'm on the PC here's another one for the forum. I treated myself last year to a new left hand crash pad from Moss, as I (and my passenger!) have been looking at a cracked one for the past 23 years! The condition deteriorated so I finally bit the bullet and bought a new one.

I did have a quick look initially to see how it could be removed and fitted but got distracted as it didn't look that easy. the crash pad has been on the garage shelf since!

Please could I receive advice how these are fitted. As an aside I had planned to fit a new wooden dash at some point, but the price, and no doubt increased scope (small gauges ideally should be refurbed) has put me off for now. Are the two jobs connected ?

Thanks again Trevor

For me it was:-

Glove box lid off, remove the wooden dash retaining screws (but leave dash in place), one vent pipe off, glove box interior out downwards, undo the three (?) fixing nuts securing the crash pad, pull off, offer up new pad and align and finger tighten the nuts, then shuffle the surplus material into place, particularly as it curves around near door. Secure pad nuts and refit everything.

Probably took an hour. Not difficult, its just about getting it in place and ensuring the trim edge sits "right".

Alan

Hi Trevor - not sure how different a tr6 one is to a 4A one - I'm having problems releasing mine!

I take it a TR6 left hand crash pad in a RHD car doesn't have a hand pull as in earlier cars - if it has got a hand pull, then it will have 5 stud fixings , a pair each side of the hand pull and one other nearer the door, just before the curve upwards - but there is also a weird clip thing right at the very top nearest the door and under the corner of the dash top - it looks like it just clips over the dash frame when you push it in, but I've tried to release it but just can't see how.

If you don't get it off, I suspect you will wreck the whole thing, which probably explains a bent/distorted one already in my pile of bits!

Any advice welcome - I must have done this before, but for the life of me, I can't remember how!

Cheers

Rich

Thanks Rich, yes no hand pull. Think they kept it simple and avoided the head injury potential in the later cars!

I love this forum, Ive been able to get ahead on so many jobs Ive put off over the years. Guess retirement helps too!

Cheers Trevor

Hi Rich all ready and getting through the job this morning. However I then discovered the crash pad I bought from Moss a year ago was left hand drive one with the recess. I had only a quick look initially. I had ordered this one too can you believe. A replacement comes tomorrow. Ive also ordered a new glove box and heater hose, the later was well broken, no wonder the air flow to the nozzle was low!

So quick answer is no. Maybe tomorrow though looks like rain here!

Cheers Trevor

Trevor

let me know how you got on getting the clip thingy off, if indeed you had one in the first place!

A bit busy on other things at moment so haven't been able to give it a good go myself - hopefully someone can advise definitively - Stuart??

Have also sent you another PM

Cheers

Rich

The clip your on about should engage over the top rear corner of the steel dash though not all repros have them, to fit you do really need to ease the steel dash forward by undoing the nuts at the top holding it.

Stuart.

Useful info I checked my replacement and correct pad from Moss today and it has steel protrusion on the top left. This I assume has to fit as suggested. Busy few days ahead so next week Ill be refitting with a new glove box and heater hose to the left hand vent.

Regards Trevor

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again, I'd thought I would close off this experience. I fitted the left hand crash pad, however it was not a good fit, as can be seen from the attached photographs. Although I could accept the new surface finish against the original centre section, it simply wasn't good enough. A gap between the two pads could be clearly seen, and I couldn't live with that. I surmise if all three sections were fitted together then all would be matched. I have refitted the original crash pad, albeit with its two cracks and will live with the on show patina! I've read the threads on possible repairs, so will review this at a later date. Moss, given the evidence refunded my account in full, even though the pad had been fitted, which I thank them for.

Regards Trevor

post-10007-0-15567100-1536338269_thumb.jpg

post-10007-0-64396900-1536338293_thumb.jpg

Hi Trevor, isnt the center piece resting on top of the wooden dash? It should not.

That would explain the gap.

Waldi

Goodness Waldi good point made, I hope you're not right. From memory I'm sure it was fitted fully in place, there was a definitive size difference between the old and new which I've tried to highlight. However I will check tomorrow, the cars buried under its cover now and the bikes are next to it - small garage!

Good to talk! Trevor

Hi again

I'm happy the centre piece is firmly in place. Think I'll leave well alone for a while, other things to fiddle with!

Regards Trevorpost-10007-0-95024800-1536496541_thumb.jpg