TR6 Inner steering column adjustment to avoid horn blowing!

I have the eternal TR problem of the horn going off intermittently on its own accord. I replaced my (1972) standard steering about 20 years ago with what I led to believe was an earlier type with a thin leather rim and separate deeper boss which necessitated the longer push connection. My column was also in the most upward position until last year which I had grown use to. However my local garage lowered it which was good. The horn issue to be honest was there before and after the step change. I believe its the boss shorting out on the horn ring in a random manner. I have recently tried to insulate as much of the exposed parts to avoid connection, which works for a while but eventually it breaks down I imagine due to the rotation of the wheel.

I can see if the inner column is raised by 1-2 mm this would move the boss away from the horn ring and I hope solve the problem. Please could I receive advice how this can be done. Is it simply from the connection clamp under the bonnet, or is there something more intricate on the column under the dash?

many thanks Trevor

Perfect Roger I'm hoping this will work, aiming for tonight when its cooler!

Cheers Trevor

I had this happening when turning right, very embarrassing at Blyton on the track !!

I hadnt fitted the black slip ring, cable insulator, properly. It has to go into its slots firmly, mine was loose.

Good luck,

Conrad.

Adjustments made this afternoon, please see photos, about 1.5 mm (ish). Test drive okay after cleaning up the red insulation tape beneath the boss! Few drives planned this month, so lets hope that's done the trick. Thanks for the advice.

Regards TRevor

post-10007-0-80521000-1533663332_thumb.jpg

post-10007-0-14122700-1533663344_thumb.jpg