Bastuck & Metal dash conversion

So I see some good reports on Bastuck panels, do people have positive feedback on floor panels?

Separately, what is i reasonable price to get a LHD metal dash cut and re-welded by a competent professional?

Thank you

David

Converting your metal dash to RHD is not really that difficult as I did my own, I made a plywood pattern by drawing around the LHD dash then with a jigsaw cut out the holes, by reversing the pattern you will then have a RHD Dash pattern. You will then need to cut the steel dash in 5 pieces and using the pattern to realign before welding back up.

Paul

Indeed Paul, I'm just not that confident in my precision welding skills and the margins of error look small to me, I wouldn't want to c*** it up!

David

Converting your metal dash to RHD is not really that difficult as I did my own, I made a plywood pattern by drawing around the LHD dash then with a jigsaw cut out the holes, by reversing the pattern you will then have a RHD Dash pattern. You will then need to cut the steel dash in 5 pieces and using the pattern to realign before welding back up.

Paul

I'm not sure why you would have 5 pieces Paul. I made a pattern that went around the glovebox and marked the dash then used that around the speedo and tachometer. I then cut out the 2 identical pieces and had them welded. Fairly straight forward. I did make sure that I included the two threaded studs that support the steering column.

David

There have been comments on here previously that the Bastuck panels are pretty good and probably a bit better fit than others - however I believe they are a slightly thinner gauge metal which some have expressed a little concern over - personally I don't have a problem with that.

I have no experience of Bastuck floor panels, but have got an each side set of inner, outer sills and caps from them which are a good profile fit as I have compared them against an original in situ sill arrangement - however, on mine, there is a slight discrepancy in the width of the flat top bit of the sill under the door, from the outer edge to the upstand flange where it is spot welded to the inner sill - the bastuck panel was about 3/16th shorter than the original - easy enough to flatten top of sill/upstand out and refold in correct position, but if I hadn't been aware of this and fitted the sills as is, I would have had major difficulty in overall alignment of doors, sills and wings.

In fairness, I bought these items direct from Bastuck in Germany about 18 months ago, and haven't actually fitted the sills yet so it maybe be current production is better.

Will send you a PM as well shortly

Cheers

Rich

• 3 weeks later...

So I see some good reports on Bastuck panels, do people have positive feedback on floor panels?

Separately, what is i reasonable price to get a LHD metal dash cut and re-welded by a competent professional?

Thank you

David

Anyone able to give me a ball park figure for getting the metal dash conversion to RHD?

Dear David,

With regards to cutting and converting TR4 dashboards, this is not as easy as some places I have seen mentioned.

I have TR4 dashboards ready to dispatch converted. These are produced on a jig by panelwork craftsman.

The cost involved to produce these is quite extensive and they retail at £375.00 each, ready for painting.

I've sent you a PM.

With Kind Regards,

Dave Ashworth