• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 qkingston

qkingston
  • TR Register Members
  • 22 posts
  • Cars Owned::GT6 x 3, Herald, Dolomite, Stag, Cobra, Jaguar XK

Posted 05 August 2018 - 05:56 PM

So I see some good reports on Bastuck panels, do people have positive feedback on floor panels?

Separately, what is i reasonable price to get a LHD metal dash cut and re-welded by a competent professional? 

Thank you

David

#2 Paul J

Paul J
  • TR Register Members
  • 330 posts
  • Cars Owned::Hillman Imps x2, van den Plas 1100, Viva SL90, mini 1000, MGB Roadster, Vauxhall VX4/90, Vauxhall Victor, MK3 Cortina 1600 GT, Fiesta Ghia, Volvo Estate, Volvo 365 GLT, BMW 318, BMW 320, Alfa Romeo, Mercedes ML270, VW Golf, BMW X1, TR4A 1966

Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:11 PM

Converting your metal dash to RHD is not really that difficult as I did my own, I made a plywood pattern by drawing around the LHD dash then with a jigsaw cut out the holes, by reversing the pattern you will then have a RHD Dash pattern. You will then need to cut the steel dash in 5 pieces and using the pattern to realign before welding back up. 

Paul

#3 qkingston

qkingston
  • TR Register Members
  • 22 posts
  • Cars Owned::GT6 x 3, Herald, Dolomite, Stag, Cobra, Jaguar XK

Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:16 PM

Indeed Paul, I'm just not that confident in my precision welding skills and the margins of error look small to me, I wouldn't want to c*** it up!

David

#4 Rockie51

Rockie51
  • 46 posts
  • Cars Owned::66 TR4A
    95 Holden Commodore 6 litre V8
    09 Peugeot 407 V6 diesel Coupe
    11 Peugeot 308 HDI

Posted 06 August 2018 - 06:25 AM

Converting your metal dash to RHD is not really that difficult as I did my own, I made a plywood pattern by drawing around the LHD dash then with a jigsaw cut out the holes, by reversing the pattern you will then have a RHD Dash pattern. You will then need to cut the steel dash in 5 pieces and using the pattern to realign before welding back up. 

Paul

I'm not sure why you would have 5 pieces Paul. I made a pattern that went around the glovebox and marked the dash then used that around the speedo and tachometer. I then cut out the 2 identical pieces and had them welded. Fairly straight forward. I did make sure that I included the two threaded studs that support the steering column.

#5 MKTR

MKTR
  • TR Register Members
  • 76 posts
  • Cars Owned::TR6, TR4

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:58 AM

Hi David - previous discussions highlight this site for info on cut n shut - http://www.brabazon....conversion/dash

Mark

#6 rcreweread

rcreweread
  • TR Register Members
  • 487 posts
  • Cars Owned::TR4 (1962), various TR4As, Austin Healey Sprite

Posted 06 August 2018 - 01:21 PM

David 

There have been comments on here previously that the Bastuck panels are pretty good and probably a bit better fit than others - however I believe they are a slightly thinner gauge metal which some have expressed a little concern over - personally I don't have a problem with that.

I have no experience of Bastuck floor panels, but have got an each side set of inner, outer sills and caps from them which are a good profile fit as I have compared them against an original in situ sill arrangement - however, on mine, there is a slight discrepancy in the width of the flat top bit of the sill under the door, from the outer edge to the upstand flange where it is spot welded to the inner sill - the bastuck panel was about 3/16th shorter than the original - easy enough to flatten top of sill/upstand out and refold in correct position, but if I hadn't been aware of this and fitted the sills as is, I would have had major difficulty in overall alignment of doors, sills and wings.

In fairness, I bought these items direct from Bastuck in Germany about 18 months ago, and haven't actually fitted the sills yet so it maybe be current production is better.

Will send you a PM as well shortly

Cheers

Rich

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users