Are TR4 windows typically different lengths

I purchased my car as a disassembled project and am now at the stage of putting the car windows back together. WHAT FUN

What i have found after a lot of shagging around is that the window marked as LHS fits the RHS of the car better and vice Versa.

Turns out they are different lengths/widths when I measured them after having numerous fitting issues, one is 770 mm wide and the other is 776 mm wide. What the real issue is now, is that the window winder runners attached to the bottom of each window now look to be the wrong way round in comparison to the diagram in the parts catalogue.

Where as the catalogue shows the winder arm Pins come in from the Back of the C channel now because the windows look to fit better on different sides the pins go thru the open side of the C channel runner.

Can this be right / does it matter/ what have I done wrong????

The window glass end guides that attach to the doors seemed to be handed so I cant believe I have them on the wrong doors or am I wrong with them, and this is whats causing my problem.

Cheers jim

Hi Jim

Sounds like you have "bitsa " car ( a bit of this and a bit of that )

There are subtle differences with the door glass dimensions. A search on the Forum for " door glass " will throw up lots of information for you.

Hits include TR4 door glass, TR4a Door Glass no Backlight questions and Door drop Glass Tr5/250

You will have a bit of head scratching to do.

Good luck with it.

Bob

You may find that you have TR5 glass which I was told some years ago is slightly different to TR4 glass in dimensions. Apparently when my 4A was restored a few years ago, the private restorer had to use TR5 glass as that was all that was available. No real problem in my car but the glass to rubber seal could probably be better, but it does not leak!

Cheers.

To my knowledge 750135 was the part number for the door glass, LH or RH TR4/4A/250/5/6

Peter W

Peter,

TR5/250/6 have a different shape at the bottom edge compared with 4/4A. Correct part # for TR5/250/6 is 820508

Graeme

Edited by graeme

Peter,

TR5/250/6 have a different shape at the bottom edge compared with 4/4A. Correct part # for TR5/250/6 is 820508

Graeme

I stand corrected.

820508 is in the post 1974 (CR Series) parts books. (Lazy me went for the 517785 thick TR6 parts book and compared with TR6 (69) 5/250/4A/4 All parts books I have prior to that give 750135 as door drop glass alone.

If it is a different shape or other engineering change then that would give reason to the part number change.

Peter W

Your vertical glass runners that attach to the doors are handed and can only install one way....Likewise the bottom glass channels as well.

When you say "fits better"..in what regard...is one side glass, the wider one, a better fit in the runners?

Edited by Malbaby

Thanks everyone for your help

Malbaby, what I mean is that when I refit the glass now, the window that was marked RHS fits in the left door guides better, where as if I put the marked LHS window in the left door it has a lot of back to front movement because it is a slightly smaller length/ width.

Equally the LHS marked window fits nicely in the right door and moves well Vs the marked RHS window which jams in the right door because it is 7mm wider. And can hardly move.

So that's all good I could switch the windows over. But then the C Chanel guides on the bottom of the windows that the winder mechanism arms attach thru, look to be the wrong way round in comparison to the moss catalogue.

That's why I am stumped, and I can only ask how this bottom Chanel is supposed to line up, which way round should the winder mechanism pins attach thru this Chanel.

Seems bob could be right in that I might have glass from two different models in the parts that I inherited with the car, I assume they must have been in the doors at some stage, because the car had previously been a daily driver in the UK by the previous owner.

But who knows, and this is turning into a bit of a mystery.

Cheers jim