Ignition barrel trim - how do I remove it?

Hi all

I have a 1972 PI with ignition on the steering column. I discovered the other day that the spring that returns the ignition key from "start" to "run" appears to have failed.

Before going the whole hog and replacing the ignition unit (which seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut) I want to remove the ignition barrel and do some investigation. Plenty of instructions on how to do that, but I can't for the life of me find how to remove the padded trim around the keyhole. How is it fixed - I don't want to force it.

Any guidance gratefully received!

There is a U shaped metal bracket that goes around the vertical pat of the barrel at the back and is screwed into the rear face of the padded trim. Bit like a screw on copper pipe bracket.

Soooo....that was harder than it should've been and it looks as if I'll need to get a new steering column lock assembly.

One question; there is a green/brown wire attached to the side of the lock assembly, running to a bullet connector. Anyone know what this is for? It didn't appear to be connected to anything..

post-3661-0-04460000-1533483105_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alpha206

Soooo....that was harder than it should've been and it looks as if I'll need to get a new steering column lock assembly.

One question; there is a green/brown wire attached to the side of the lock assembly, running to a bullet connector. Anyone know what this is for? It didn't appear to be connected to anything..

Andy Canning (Eddy on this forum) had a NOS (not a repro) item for sale not long ago, I think he still has it - if you are interested drop him a pm. It is pretty rare so wont be as cheap as a new repro............

Good Luck

Ian

Alpha

Looking at the pic of the unid wire it looks black with a green trace (rather than green with a black trace).

So according to the BS AU7 wiring colour codes i have this is screenwiper switch to screenwiper.

Now on my 72 Pi those BS colours were pretty much spot on and i've very recently (like yesterday) part tested my new harness and had the windscreen wipers working.

But i cannot take a peek now to see if my wire is def the same as my car lives elsewhere, but the codes may help.

I use the codes from the site below but have noticed there are subtle differences between different web sites and as it says in the text "these are BS-AU7 colours, the MGB has some departures" so mybe Triumph did as well.

http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/colourcodes.htm

Hope it helps

Cheers

Keith

Andy Canning (Eddy on this forum) had a NOS (not a repro) item for sale not long ago, I think he still has it - if you are interested drop him a pm. It is pretty rare so wont be as cheap as a new repro............

Good Luck

Ian

Thanks Ian...I'd already ordered one...the repros are a nightmare to fit though...they are square as opposed to cylindrical and I practically had to dismantle the steering column assembly to give it any chance of going into place..(I'm sure there's an easier way but I never found it!)...still got to put it all back together but it was starting to get dark after 3 1/2 hours.