Mysterious Missfire

Hi John, as you say it's working now but your not too sure how you fixed it so what else could cause the valves to stick.

Only thing I can suggest is the angle of the tab that pushes the valve could be such that as the level drops it does not push the valve vertically and the valve jams. Try it with the chamber off and float at different levels between nearly shut and hanging down. It needs to lift up with the lightest touch.

Chris

Yes Chris,

noticed that if you let the float hang right down when out of the chamber, it tends to stick against the needle body as you lift. Checking the petrol level in the chamber after normal running its just over half full which I think would mean the float sits quite high and should be above the sticking range. I had noticed this effect in the many times I`ve had it out but the only way to alter it was to bend the float hinge which I thought rather risky. I`ve checked that the float levels and consequently fuel levels are the same for front and back so left them as bought at present. I was thinking that getting some of the `Grose`Valves, (I think that`s what they are called), that use a ball not a needle may solve that. General opinion seems to be that they are not very good though. You have however identified the one effect outstanding that still bothers me

Done about 100 miles since fixing so far.

John

Hi John, it may be worth keeping an eye on the fuel pump, is it a rebuilt original or Chinese replacement. One last thought, could there be some contamination in the fuel causing a sticky substance to build up on the needle valve. You could try leaving a small amount of fuel in a shallow tray to evaporate, if clean there should be no residue left when fuel has gone.

Chris

Well done John, - for sticking with and sorting it - no pun intended..

I’m convinced many of these issues relate back to the fuel available nowadays (see my first ever post on forum).. Dave Davis is brilliant on the pumps; could anyone recommend anyone similar for carbs (currently on Strombergs) in the Surrey / S East area?