Forum software update now live Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
ada69

TR5 Gear knob

I am looking for an 'original' gear knob for my UK TR5. There is one at present on ebay for £35 which is made from bakelite, which is a black round knob with no markings. Does anyone know if this is correct? Also is there supposed to be a locking nut underneath the knob?

Thank you in anticipation.

Adrian Page

Hi Adrian, yes it has a locking nut underneath.

Cheers,

Conrad.

I'd look for a TR250 one, will be identical but half the price. Of course you will be reported to the DVLA for driving a fake! :ph34r:

Alan (sorry too good to resist)

I am looking for an 'original' gear knob for my UK TR5. There is one at present on ebay for £35 which is made from bakelite, which is a black round knob with no markings. Does anyone know if this is correct? Also is there supposed to be a locking nut underneath the knob?

Thank you in anticipation.

Adrian Page

Yes black bakelite without markings and has a threaded insert to screw to you gear stick There should be a lock nut beneath it to lock in place.

When you say original do you mean NOS 131246 (36.5 mm dia spherical black bakelite) ?

or will what is currently in the market be acceptable at 1 1/2" = 38 mm which has the threaded insert to screw to your gear knob? (NB - Ther is a 42 mm item in the market place too)

Here is what I believe to be the 38mm item at under £20.00 https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-22B19

Peter W

PS More reading on this subject of spherical gear knobs on Triumphs TR4-6. https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/63274-are-all-knobs-the-same-size/?hl=131246&do=findComment&comment=545401

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT