TR4a softtop frame fitment pictures

Am looking to install a TR4a top and frame to my TR4. As the B-post fitting of the frame is different, can someone put up a picture of their TR4a in that area? There are two bolts each side which mounts the frame to the B-post, any measurements where both holes are in reference to the post would be ideal.

The picture shows the TR4a frame provisionally in place, the bottom hole I used is the same as the bottom used for the TR4 frame. As said not sure if this is anywhere where it should be. Should the top of the bracket be horizontal?

Many thanks in advance.

post-2169-0-32203700-1533063693_thumb.jpg

Yes it should be, you can get the insert section that has the two captives in it new Item 7 here https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/body-chassis/body-panels/rear-outer-body-panels-tr4-4a.html

Dont forget that you will also need the correct forward deck extensions to allow the frame to fold properly. If you need the catches etc for the header rail to screen frame I have a spare set.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart. Sadly the insert sections are NCA (not currently available?). But I guess I can make something myself. Just need the correct measurements. I will try to find someone with a TR4a nearby to look and take measurements.

My brother owns the TR4 in the background of the picture. This has a TR4a window surround frame as I found out (with the TR4 aluminium top cover), it has the threaded holes for taking the frame catches. So the plan is to swap the surround over and put a TR4a top cover on.

Apart from the B post, I think I have the main parts to convert: a TR4a window frame, TR4a window top cover, TR4a top frame with front windscreen metal plate, TR4a catches, TR6 softtop with the rear steel support to be bolted to the rear deck. I found out this uses the holes already conveniently there in the TR4 deck.

Of course this is not all. The softtop needs to be fixed (glued and ) to the front metal on the frame. Behind the door window I need to make a support for the softtop side buttons. Also the Velcro at softtop, above the door window tops needs something to put it against to on the frame.

I am not too concerned about the forward deck extensions. The top will not fold as low as on original cars - these supposedly have an indent on the rear wheel arch but I think I can live with that.

Thanks Stuart. Sadly the insert sections are NCA (not currently available?). But I guess I can make something myself. Just need the correct measurements. I will try to find someone with a TR4a nearby to look and take measurements.

My brother owns the TR4 in the background of the picture. This has a TR4a window surround frame as I found out (with the TR4 aluminium top cover), it has the threaded holes for taking the frame catches. So the plan is to swap the surround over and put a TR4a top cover on.

Apart from the B post, I think I have the main parts to convert: a TR4a window frame, TR4a window top cover, TR4a top frame with front windscreen metal plate, TR4a catches, TR6 softtop with the rear steel support to be bolted to the rear deck. I found out this uses the holes already conveniently there in the TR4 deck.

Of course this is not all. The softtop needs to be fixed (glued and ) to the front metal on the frame. Behind the door window I need to make a support for the softtop side buttons. Also the Velcro at softtop, above the door window tops needs something to put it against to on the frame.

I am not too concerned about the forward deck extensions. The top will not fold as low as on original cars - these supposedly have an indent on the rear wheel arch but I think I can live with that.

Talk to Revingtons as I think they have them.https://www.revingtontr.com/search.asp?for=708093

Stuart.

• 1 year later...

A short note to say that I am very pleased with the "conversion" of the TR4 to TR4a top. So much more easier to use!

I did find out that the frame I got secondhand is slightly twisted. This is not problem when the top is up but it means the folded frame bends a little more to the left than to the right. Also, and maybe because of this, the frame tends not to stay in the fully folded position. Easily corrected with two straps either side.

The original bottom screw on the B post can be re-used, a new hole needs to made in order to fit the rearmost bolt of the triangle. The other bolt disappears in the big hole that the TR4 has there, so I used a thick flat piece of iron with a nut welded to the rear.   

Ideally I should finish it all off. For the B posts I would like to find second hand black rear quarter covers because I think I have to modify them in order to fit my car (the 4a has different side panels, my car still has the TR4 side panels). Also looking for the small aluminium end covers (red arrows on the pic) and it would be perfect if I could find a 4a hood bag.

BE.jpg