XYY 332F - 250 posing as a 5

Thank you Andy, Tom and others for your sense.

There seems to be a lot of negativity slipping in.

When I read stuff like 'when did a Tr5 ever win the Monte Carlo'

It smacks of a sort of reverse snobbery thats in act.

I dont know if there are any Tr5 owners who are being snobby to make others act in this sort of Jealous way ?

I for one come from a background of a new 1970 Tr6 in family (which we still have) and simply when I bought my 5 many moons ago it was my love for the PI and the Michelotti body.

Certainly the low number of 5's made me feel that I had something a little bit rarer but certainly not for the value.

My 5 is often a daily driver and it is very well used not a concourse car. All my kids sat in the back and now the dog does too.

I think we are losing focus as people would rather be negative than appreciate that a stylist like Michelotti had such a special relationship with Triumph. Thats what we should be looking to, then if due to the rarity the 5's have gained in value well that carries over into the entire marque. Why should it be a Healey rather than a Triumph.?

People should be glad if our cars have some value and if you dont have the chance to buy a 5 because they are hard to find then get a 6 or something else.

There is absolutely no need for all these petty comments.

The fact is that it has come to light that 10% of the 5's arn't really 5's and finally DVLC is going to look into the matter and hopefully those who tried to 'cash in' will get a bit of a suprise as it should be.

There is only one reason to call a Tr250 a 5 and that is to try and make money in an unethical way. No other reason, if not call it a 250 bought up to Tr5 spec and let buyers decide.

Personally if I had a 250 I would stick some good uprated specs on it and be just as happy.

The rest here is just petty.

Fact is as others have rightly said if it didnt come out as a 5 its not a 5 and the only reason you might try to tell people it is, is if you are not being above board.

Fact is in the next 10 years or so values will slow as millennial's have their own tastes.

Lets just enjoy our cars which are all beautiful in many and different ways and try to keep the marque for others in the future to enjoy.

Tony

It is simples

you can do what you wish to your own car, however should you modify it and not declare it to the insurance company your insurance is likely to be nullified and you may find yourself in trouble with the authorities.

If you rebuild it and change the chassis or body and do not tell DVLA of the new body/chassis numbers you are committing an offence

If you give DVLA wrong or misleading information that is a criminal offence.

If you sell it and give a misleading description or say it is something that it is not - then that is fraud.

Anything else is semantics, jealousy or possibly criminal intent. This type of fraud is rampant within the motor industry not just with TR's

If you do not think it wrong and it should not be highlighted and brought to the authorities attention then you are encouraging and condoning criminal activity.

I would hope our club and others would take a stand and let these crooks know they will not get away with it.

Your choice, but I know where I stand.

It is simples

you can do what you wish to your own car, however should you modify it and not declare it to the insurance company your insurance is likely to be nullified and you may find yourself in trouble with the authorities.

If you rebuild it and change the chassis or body and do not tell DVLA of the new body/chassis numbers you are committing an offence

If you give DVLA wrong or misleading information that is a criminal offence.

If you sell it and give a misleading description or say it is something that it is not - then that is fraud.

Anything else is semantics, jealousy or possibly criminal intent. This type of fraud is rampant within the motor industry not just with TR's

If you do not think it wrong and it should not be highlighted and brought to the authorities attention then you are encouraging and condoning criminal activity.

I would hope our club and others would take a stand and let these crooks know they will not get away with it.

Your choice, but I know where I stand.

Utterly agree....

Cheers

Ian

I would also caution that inciting the DVLA to dig deeper and harder in to classic car registration, level of modification, etc is apart from protecting the investment of a few TR5 owners, likely to cause grief and cost to thousands of other classic car owners in the future, as have you ever known the DVLA make anything simpler when they could make it more complex. Come the day when every restoration needs an expensive certificate of authenticity before the DVLA will issue any paperwork or treat the car as historic, some may look back and think the baby got thrown out with the bath water, trying to "protect?" a few fish in a very big pond.

Scream load enough that the DVLA are doing a sloppy job on Historic Car registrations, and that its their fault that people can commit fraud and their response might be OK before we continue allowing you to keep your car registered as Historic you have to supply new proof that it is what its registered as.

Alan

If the DVLA get a whisper that a car has been rebuilt they do this now.

Alan

I agree we may be opening a can of worms that could have enormous ramifications for all TR owners , as the DVLA are unlikely to distinguish between differing models with regards to VHI !!!

Graham

+1, best left alone and dealt with at a club level on an individual basis. Caveat Emptor as has been said before.

All this is just trying to scare people and avoid safety requirements that should be updated.

No one likes red tape but ...The UK is the last place on earth where you can just slap a 6litre engine in a mini and do all sorts of other stupid things.

In any other country if you modify a car then you have to have it inspected after and sorry if thats safety and doesnt suit you.

Suggesting that safety is left to club level is just silly and even if someone in the club would be willing to take responsibility for your silly mods what happens when someone gets killed? The register would have to have a mega insurance as they cocked up and that would raise costs their too.

Clubs havnt been able to regulate this in all the years now they are going to take on responsibility to certify cars and changes to cars?

And what would we do all drive to Oxford each time we do stuff, or maybe a group leader would now become a safety expert??

Fantasy talk.

Like it or not the government bodies have to do that.

If you want to take your TR6 to 400bhp then yes it should be inspected and unfortunately same goes if you start sticking important new bit on your car or altering the name of the car from factory issue.

Its about time the UK caught up with the rest of the world anyway.

I have nothing against you fitting a supercharger to your car, but you should also have the brakes and rest to go with the mods, who is going take the responsibility for that?

Anyway here the point is about cars being dressed to make an illegal profit and cheat the unsuspecting and suggesting that you dont want the law involved because it doesnt suit you is a game you will lose. I am not a Tr5 investor...But Fact is its been discovered that 10% of Tr5's are fakeand people who want a bit of exclusivity or have spent time and money have a right to protection.

Caveat Emptor is fine as a warning but its not a serious solution.. If that was the case you wouldnt need laws for anything you buy.

Tony

The problem needs resolving finally or yes people will start running to the government and it will be far worse.

Its time to correct the problem regards all cars be they Tr5's or Tr8's, Mini Coopers or Lotus's.

If someone had take the trouble years ago maybe it would have come to this?

But anyway its right that just like there is an MOT there should be an official way to check someone didnt stick a400bhp engine in their Tr2 and still have original brakes.

Well if there was a patent safety issue as highlighted by lots of accidents I might be inclined to agree Tony - but the lack of such evidence seems to show that there isn't any problem. I think we in the UK have the balance about right between regulation and personal freedom. The last thing we need is more heavy-handed bureaucracy, which we would all have to pay for, but which generally achieves nothing except to make life more complicated and boring. Other countries are used to regulation to the nth degree - recent events seem to show we don't want to be.

But Fact is its been discovered that 10% of Tr5's are fakeand people who want a bit of exclusivity or have spent time and money have a right to protection.

Ah so we are talking about investment protection! unfortunately I think you will find that "exclusivity" is not a right!

And regarding modified or even in period restored cars, I suggest you ask some of the German Classic car owners how wonderful a system their TUV is?

Alan

People who jump on and deride the Tr5

I don't think I have seen anyone deride the TR5 its a very nice car.

I think what you will find is that its seriously tempting to pop an overinflated balloon of claims that a TR5 is in anyway more special than any other Triumph. I couldn't swear to it but I'll bet most owners of TR3's TR4's TR6's just appreciate the cars, and if someone turns up with one that has been built out of half a dozen imports, new parts, and bits from the scrap bin, they would judge the car on its merits, appreciate that someone appreciates it, and not get particularly hung up on it genetic pedigree or if both parents were recorded on its birth certificate.

As to your thoughts on car modification...............

Alan

Hello Everyone

I started the thread purely to help any individual who is researching the car on the number plate to enable them to have more information to digest before committing.

There have been some very helpful posts and some not so, more personal, I put this down to strong characters and hold nothing against any of you, it is your right to vent your opinions.

So to that end, I now feel it is time for this particular thread to be closed to new posts. I thank you for your time and comments, I've taken rather a lot from this.

Best wishes,

Mike <_<

All,

I have removed a number of posts from this thread today which were inappropriate, off-topic and/or rude. Everyone loves robust debate; no-one likes insults.

I don't want to lock the thread because there may be useful or important things to add in future, but if people are unable to rise above the personal and stay on topic, the moderators will lock it.

As always, if you think a post is offensive or otherwise inappropriate please use the report function and the mods will deal with it as we see fit.

If anyone thinks this action is unwarranted or incorrect, please feel free to PM me - I do not pretend to have an exclusive on Forum wisdom.

Thanks,

Tim