New Clutch Recommendation

I am having my gearbox and overdrive rebuilt by a well known and respected Triumph gearbox guru at end of season.

While everything is stripped out I want to replace the complete clutch. He uses clutches from Moss but has anybody got any experience or recommendations of best supplier/make etc.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Regards

Ian

Hi Ian ~

Try and get your hands on a Laycock clutch assembly. My 3A is fitted as such. Far superior than anything else.

I got mine from John Sykes, TR Bitz.

Tom.

Hi Tom,

That's a TR4A-6 clutch, have you modified your TR3A to fit it?

Ian,

I have used the standard Moss AP clutch with no problems in a US TR6, however I wouldn't use the RHP release bearing.

My TR4A has a GT6 'AP racing' clutch which has been good so far, approx. 50000 miles.

Cheers

Graeme

"a well known and respected Triumph gearbox guru at end of season.... I want to replace the complete clutch. He uses clutches from Moss."

Why wouldn't you use what "a well known and respected Triumph gearbox guru" would recommend ? he's building your gearbox and will undoubtedly have expertise as to which clutch he feels works best. Sometimes trying to "build a better mousetrap" leads to overlooking the obvious and best solution.

Mick Richards

Mick, You make a good point and it maybe the route I take. However it was more of an offer to get the clutch from Moss for me when he was getting other bits for the assembly. This suggests that Moss's units are fine as per Graeme.I only want to do this job once so if there was a known 'better or preferred clutch' from other peoples experience then I would take that route.

regards

Ian

Hi Ian,

I had stacks of trouble with my clutch (Ratchet clutch) three years ago and had the box in and out three timers in two weeks.

I found the problem (misaligned front extension to the GB) and fitted it all back together again.

I got my parts form the TRShop but much the same as Moss.

The standard B&B/Delphi pressure plate and whatever friction plate. I used a steel bearing carrier from the TRShop (coloured black and works perfectly)

The bearing was from Moss an expensive RHP - do not buy cheap.

It has worked perfectly for the last three years.

Roger

I'm afraid that removing the gearbox three times in two weeks is nothing compared with my three times in one day

when I had problems with the rubbish clutch I purchased from a so called 'reputable' TR dealer until John Sykes

of TR Bitz saved my chips by selling me a Laycock clutch assembly!

Tom.

I've had a moss clutch in my 4A for the last 7 years (22000 miles+) since I had the engine rebuilt and it's been fine, still got the same free play on slave cylinder as when first set up (using return spring and adjustable pushrod).

I would hope that any quality clutch would last well over 22000 miles if not abused. Once again what do Revington or TR Enterprises suggest or supply? Too much junk in the past from Moss always worries me.

Cheers.