Black smoke and splutter intermittent misfire, under load OK

Hi peeps.. HELP.. TR4 I have changed the points, condenser, plugs leads, checked timing. Mixture on carbs, starting mixture fully closed and opening 1 full turn (I know it states 2) but two is too rich; Done a compression test seems OK. The TR seems still to be running rich.. If I lean out any further I get a backfire.. Drives OK just occasionally a slight misfire or splutter, carbs are H6 SUs The plugs are dry carbon black, but I have never known a classic any different

Dashpot oil present?

When you say fully closed I assume you mean the jet position. The starting point should be with the jet flush with the the bar. Then normally 12 flats down from that datum as a starting point.

Airflow balanced?

Do the SU pistons drop freely when raised with a finger?

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Edited by peejay4A

So its "OK" between 6 and 12 flats down. Not far off Pete's 12.

It could be waay too retarded at tickover..hence black smoke. Recheck the timing. without asssuming the pullwy marks are correct. Turn the disy a few mm to and fro until tickover rpm are max. and reclamp. Beware HT !!

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold