I have recently picked up a pair of second hand screens for my late model TR3A, the screens are missing the Dzus fasteners so I ordered a set and now find the slotted holes in the frame are way to small for the fasteners (7mm for the 1/2" fastener).

Another odd thing with these screens is the flap is held down with tenex fittings which I understand from the TRF web site were only used on early TR2s plus the tenex are 15mm instead of the usual 20mm type.

In all other respects the screens appear to be the genuine item so before I start opening up holes and change the tenex for lift the dot could someone throw some light on what I have.

George

post-11158-0-35171800-1532863582_thumb.jpg

I have recently picked up a pair of second hand screens for my late model TR3A, the screens are missing the Dzus fasteners so I ordered a set and now find the slotted holes in the frame are way to small for the fasteners (7mm for the 1/2" fastener).

Another odd thing with these screens is the flap is held down with tenex fittings which I understand from the TRF web site were only used on early TR2s plus the tenex are 15mm instead of the usual 20mm type.

In all other respects the screens appear to be the genuine item so before I start opening up holes and change the tenex for lift the dot could someone throw some light on what I have.

George

STOP!

1/ Remove the Tenax fasteners carefully and offer them to a TR2 owner.

2/ Your used frames are wedge fitting types and are not correct for your late model TR3A. They will do TR3A up to TS28825. If you have wedge pockets/brackets for the doors you can use the frames you have but will have to MOVE their position if your car currently has Dzus type brackets. (leaving visible holes in the trim) This is because the legs are originally approx 3/8" different distance apart, wedge to Dzus. NB There are some repro wedge frames around that are the same leg spacing as Dzus. It just gets more confusing.....

Cheers

Peter W

Gent's thanks for your replies

Tom

A copy of your recover instructions would be a great help as the stiching on one screen has not stood up to the test of time, I will send you a PM with my email address.

I realise I should have the later rigid type like yours but my budget dictates that I use what I have (the cost of new screens will fund a really good road trip), also my doors are fitted with studs already for the tonneau cover.

Peter

Thanks for the info on leg position, part of my problem is it looks like the chrome plates for the dzus fitting have been repositioned quite a few times over the years so my door cards are a bit of a mess and will require recovering, I will also have to do something with the wood blocks in the doors as there is more hole then wood!

I assume the wedges are located in the slots and are bolted on through the part depth hole on the outside of the leg?

I was thrown my the mini tenex on these screens, I will be replacing them with the larger 20mm tenex that are used on the hood to screen connection, or maybe just go with lift the dot fasteners so if the little tenex are of use to a TR2 owner I will pass them on.

George

I have the opposite setup ! - late type sidescreens fitted with wedges. As you say work with what you have, I have been able to make them fit well, but it does involve a lot of bending, & trial & error.

Bob.