TR4a rear end clonking

Advice please. The road I live on has the usual sleeping policeman road humps. When initially setting off in the car it is quiet over the humps but once the car is fully warmed up, say 30 minutes, various clonking noises start particularly at lower speeds, and in stop start traffic. The noises get worse when returning home over the local speed humps. Recent work to the car has included new rear hubs, new drive shafts, and a rebuilt diff. The car has the original lever arms, but the suspension is slightly "bouncy". I know the the above symptoms are a bit vague but any advice from TR doctors would be welcome.

Richard

Hi Richard, firstly make sure the damper retaining bolts are done up tight, very tight.

If the socket/ spanner slips then try new bolts.

If you do decide to go for a telescopic conversion opt for the brackets with 3 mounting points, the third being on the chassis bump stop bracket which is no longer needed as a bump stop.

Chris

It sounds like a cracked dif mount or pin. If that checks out, could be worn trailing arm bushes...or if recently changed to poly/nylatron, too much space so they clonck as they "set" into position (my recent issue as everything else had been redone in the rear - particularly bad at low speeds btw). Given new u-joints and shafts, you're running out of options. Although the rear is full of all kinds of opportunities for clonks.....

I fitted new hubs from Goodparts in 2013, a friend of mine also did 2016 (?).
Mine have been (and are still) OK, on his the center nut was not tight enough (300 Nm needed).
So that caused a kick-klack on braking and eccellerating.

We needed some time to find the reason by accident:
we lifted only one wheel to open / close the central nut of the wire wheels,
this while the handbrake was open, 1st gear in, the other wheel on the ground.

Brake drum must me free!

We used my DIY wire wheel tool with 60 cm long lever, not the common small one with (no) hammer.
There it was: tight - klick, untighten - klack

Ciao Marco

Edited by Z320