Brake master cylinder

Today's problem. If I depress the brake pedal slowly I can press all the way to the floor - no brakes. But if I press down quickly the pedal hardens and I am actuating the brakes. And if I do this with the top off the reservoir oil is squirted up in to the reservoir and squirts up out of the open top. This must be oil being pushed back through the feed to the master cylinder and into the reservoir.

I guess this is the one-way valve in the mastercylinder not closing.

But it's a new master cylinder !! Been used for say 100-200 miles.

Anybody else had this problem ?

Which master cylinder type? Lockheed or Girling?

If you depress the pedal and it goes to the floor, & there are no visible leaks in the system, then the master cylinder is suspect with a potentially dangerous fault.

Approach this initially as a conversation with the supplier of the master cyl. (I know there was a dud batch of master cylinders around a few years ago that the supplier recalled.)

A new seal kit in the master cyl may rescue it if it is a genuine Girling or Lockheed item that was NOS and the seals have gone hard over the years of storage. Check the bores are not corroded when you strip it if you intend to reseal it. Beyond that send it to a reputable master cyl restorer - they are often mention/used here in UK.

Have you mixed up fluid types when fitting/bleeding the master cyl? That could have affected the seals.

Peter W

Master cylinder is Girling, from Moss. Bought late last summer.

But I haven't heard of any problems with hydraulic fluid. Is there some type that I should avoid because it will eat the seals ? Also, I've read up in the workshop manual about replacing the seals in the master cylinder. The implication is that once you remove the push rod, boot and a circlip the piston is pushed out by the return spring. Because otherwise I don't see how you get it out without compressed air in the other end.Is that right?

Thanks for any advice.

Contact Moss, your supplier.

Fluid TYPE mix is possible to do as you have a common fluid reservoir on Girling TR3/3A - Use one type/specification only.

Peter W