Decided it was time to change the oil in my '3 partly because I had 20W50 in there, & the consensus seems to be that a proper gbox oil is better, & partly because I have not checked the level since filling it in 2013.

I was a bit worried that I may have TRouble undoing the large brass overdrive drain plug / filter housing.

I need not have, it was barely finger tight :o (Thank you Hardy Enginering)

Well 1.8 ltrs came out of the two drain holes, so I had not lost any significant ammount.

I was almost on the point of making a tool to do the big brass plug up again when I had a thought.

At last years CC show I purchased an oil filter removal tool (to complement all my others) & it was the sort with three gripping arms which pull in as you apply torque to the ½" drive. It worked a treat:

post-12009-0-28822200-1532513459_thumb.jpg post-12009-0-06682000-1532513425_thumb.jpg post-12009-0-78004900-1532513859_thumb.jpg post-12009-0-02741800-1532513479_thumb.jpg post-12009-0-99955100-1532513544_thumb.jpg

Because my box is from a TRiumph 2K it does not have the filler hole / dipstick on the top, it has to be filled from the level checking plug in the side of the box. This was going to be hard work, so I found some plastic pipe which fitted snugly in the side hole, & also fitted nicely over one of my funnels. Fed the pipe through the gbox cover top hole, resting funnel on top of the door, & poured in (slowly) the required 2 ltrs of Penrite GB40. All went well & not a drop spilt.

Then since the car was up in the air anyway, I changed the axle oil, & then greased everything including both ends of the propshaft.

Todays job just to finish off is to check / adjust the brakes, & front wheel bearings. (but only after an oil + filter change on the wife's Sceicento)

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Bob, I find a 2-5 -2.75" 'C' spanner ideal to remove/replace the A Type o/d drain plug.

Tim

attachicon.gifDSC00563.JPG

It depends on how tightly it has been done up. The "C" spanner is only pulling on one of the notches, but yes, I used something similar to remove mine, but as I said it was not tight at all.

Bob.

Bob,

Good idea, I have one of those oil filter removal tools, but there isn't room to fit it onto my oil filter so I use a strap wrench instead.

And I picked up a C spanner from an auto jumble that fits perfectly, so now I have two means of undoing the filter cover.

I also have 20/50 in the gearbox / overdrive that I will get around to changing in the winter.

But even though mine is a saloon box, I replaced the top cover with one from an old TR box that came complete with overdrive switch holes and a dipstick hole so I can pour the oil in through the dipstick hole.

Rgds Ian

Ian.

That's interesting, I had wondered if they were interchangable. I presume it was a 4 synchro doner box ?

Stuart.

I know you can buy them, but too expensive if seldom used, I can see why you would need one though.

I was going to make one like that but then remembered I had the filter remover.

Bob.

Had the filler issue when I was fitting the Stag box in my TR3A. I spent a happy evening drilling the top cover to accept a dip stick. the casting mark of where it goes is on the top cover.

Peter W

ORS were selling their overdrive drain plug remover for £20 at Lincoln.

I agree with Stuart, not cheap, but it's definitely the right tool for the job.

Ian Cornish