:( Can anyone give me some advice regarding an oil leak im getting from my distributor, I have replaced the o ring on the dizzy shaft but still getting copious amounts of engine oil getting into the base of the dizzy and then dripping from the drain holes. Ive tried to find any information about this but nothing so far. It has just been checked by the dizzy doctor and refitted but the problem remains.

Hi Roger

I first noticed this coming back from Boness last year after a 3 hour drive down the M6 at the legal speed limit. I had stopped and when I started the engine there was a distinct popping noise (not a backfire). I was also burning a little oil and had some worn rings/valve guides so put it down to crankcase pressure. The engine has been remanufactured to stage 2 so I wouldnt have expected there to be any pressure now.

Was the o ring you replaced the one on the vertical drive shaft, engine to distributor. If so, you might want to look at the o ring on the horizontal shaft, distributor to metering unit. I had a similar oil leak which took me an age to locate, and turned out to be this o ring. It’s behind the plate at the front of the distributor pedestal. The plate is only held on by one screw, but to replace the o ring I had to remove the distributor and metering unit from the car. I had a hell of a job finding the part in the moss catalog, but for what it’s worth Jerry at Eninuity in London told me that it’s the same as the other o ring (#513682) although when I finally found it, the catalog showed a different number.

Hi Ashley

where exactly was your oil leaking from? if the o ring on the horizontal MU drive had split, wouldnt the oil come out of the end cap held on with one screw?

I have put another dizzy on temporarily and so far have had no further leaks which would suggest the fault lies within the dizzy.

Sorry for the slow response, but haven’t had the chance to look at this site for a while.

Yes is the answer to your question. The plug at the end of the MU drive was damp with oil, and the pedestal from this height and below was covered in oil. I guess you’re talking about a leak higher up.

Hopefully it will continue without any further leaks.

Whats your breather arrangements as its sounds as if you have a fair amount of excess crank pressure to push oil up into the dizzy body.

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stewart

im using the standard set up for a tr6 pi, hose from rocker cover via a flame trap to the inlet air tube, just cleaned the flame trap and replaced the hoses. Just had the dizzy back from the doctor with a new shaft and bush fitted and after a short run its still leaking oil but not as much.

You must still have some crankcase pressure to be forcing oil into the dizzy, do you have oil appearing in the air plenum too? Have you changed seals number 106 and 116 on this page? and is item number 100 worn or missing?

Stuart.