Gents

I have a friend who while clearing his late Father's effects, has discovered about 15 x 5 litre cans of 20/50 oil.

The oil is 'brand new' and 'unopened' but about 15 years + old.

Apparently some of the cans have started rusting having been stood on a cold floor, but are otherwise untouched.

(It would appear the Old chap was a bit of a Wheeler Dealer, and always buying/selling car stuff!)

They are of various brands/manufacture, including Castrol GTX.

Q.

Will any of the oil be worth acquiring??

Gents

I have a friend who while clearing his late Father's effects, has discovered about 15 x 5 litre cans of 20/50 oil.

The oil is 'brand new' and 'unopened' but about 15 years + old.

Apparently some of the cans have started rusting having been stood on a cold floor, but are otherwise untouched.

(It would appear the Old chap was a bit of a Wheeler Dealer, and always buying/selling car stuff!)

They are of various brands/manufacture, including Castrol GTX.

Q.

Will any of the oil be worth acquiring??

Well considering the price Autojumblers are asking for Auld Cans don’t just dump them even if the Oil is waste.

Yes there was Roger!

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/60789-how-long-does-un-opened-oil-last-on-the-shelf/?hl=%2Bshelf+%2Blife&do=findComment&comment=514185

and as you say not that long ago (that must give you some reassurance re memory loss! :unsure:)

In that thread (thank you Ben!), my lecturer referred to additives coming out of solution. The usual correction for that is a little heat and agitation, which the oil will get if poured into an engine. So unless you friend's dad's old oil has gross deposits, I'd say use it!

None of it is old enough to smell of castor oil, is it?

JOhn

https://www.lubricants.total.com/does-motor-oil-expire

http://www.elf.com/en/advice-corner/engine-oil-faq/does-motor-oil-expire.html

From t'internet.

When I have an opened can of oil for 3 years or more, I have got rid. Especially modern high performance oils for the Porsche or daily drivers

In that thread (thank you Ben!), my lecturer referred to additives coming out of solution. The usual correction for that is a little heat and agitation, which the oil will get if poured into an engine. So unless you friend's dad's old oil has gross deposits, I'd say use it!

None of it is old enough to smell of castor oil, is it?

JOhn

That would be Castrol R! Brings back fond memories!

I am not an oil expert but experience in related areas suggests that warming and shaking can work, but can't be 100% relied on to reconstitute the original formulation..The separated gloop could be a reaction product for example. So far as long term storage is concerned shelf life can be quite long conditional on original unopened containers stored low humidity, even (low) temperature. (Accelerated ageing tests usually consist of thermal cycling, eg My garage this week is unbearably hot by about 11.00am, but quite cool first thing), I would use it if the oil looked the right colour without separation, but mixed with fresh oil or at reduced service interval as a precaution.

Mike

Edited by MikeF

Gents

Thanks for the input.

I was thinking primarily for flushing/initial run ups etc, so think I'll garb some.

Niall, the 'cans' idea may be a winner??? Hmm could be 'my ship coming in', ......on a sea of old oil!