Tr4a Differental advice

Hi, looking for some advice on a TR4a Diff, there is rotational slack, when turning the prop shaft before the output shafts turn, is this normal? if so how much is acceptable.

I was hoping to take the unit out and take it to Mike Papworth for checking, but he is to busy, not available to look at it until November.

Thanks in advance

Hi, looking for some advice on a TR4a Diff, there is rotational slack, when turning the prop shaft before the output shafts turn, is this normal? if so how much is acceptable.

I was hoping to take the unit out and take it to Mike Papworth for checking, but he is to busy, not available to look at it until November.

Thanks in advance

Adam - Hi and welcome to the forum.

Have sent you a PM ( personal Message) - if you look at the very top of this page on the right hand side, you will see an icon of an envelope and if there is an unread message in your "inbox", there will be a red tag above it - click on the envelope and that will take you into your messages

Cheers

Rich

Hi Adam,

I replaced my CW&P over the winter. There should only be between 3 and 6 thou of backlash between the pinion and the CW and there should be none on the planetary gears so in theory the amount of play at the input shaft with both wheels locked should be minimal. (note my car is a TR3a so it has a rigid rear axle).

Before I changed the CW&P (for a lower ratio) I had about 5 or 6 mm of free movement at the edge of the pinion connection. Now I have virtually none.

Rgds Ian

PS With the old CW&P it didn't whine and that has always been my yardstick against which to judge things - does it make a noise, particularly when warm - if it doesn't it's probably OK.

Edited by Ian Vincent