Following recent body repair my painter gave me the small amount of left over paint for touching up chips/scratches etc.

He did say this would need activator for areas of any size, so i assume it will be the 2pack nasty stuff.

The colour match is a land rover colour mixed by a local factor so not available off the shelf from the usual suspects.

I want to do a quick tidy up of the engine bay arround the clutch master cylinder area , can this paint be brushed on and is this

activator available to non trade. Or would it be better to try and source a proper touch up paint.

I know nothing about all these modern paints so any info much appreciated.

thanks

Brian

Hi Brian,

I know about as much as you but if you go to your local paint shop they will have activator that will work.

I find brushing 2K can leave brush marks - make it on the thin side using thinners

For small spots use it on the thick so that it builds up in the hole. Rub down and polish.

Roger

Further to above, I don't much --- but The activator acts as thinners, and it's shelf life is not very long, so don't buy too much !

I am in the same situation - my car was sprayed with 2 pack, & I was given the remains of the paint (not very much), & some activator in a small pot.

When I came to use it the activator had gone solid. I have done a few paint chip type touch up's with the paint unactivated, & it does dry after a day or so.

Bob.

As an alternative to 2-pack, what other types of paint can be safely used for touch up and small repair areas?

My car was repainted in 2-pack 10 years ago and matched to the existing Conifer at the time. I don't have any of the 2-pack but I do have several aerosols and cans of the original Conifer which would still be a good colour match but they are a mix of cellulose, acrylic and unknown!

Other than the obvious 'try a small, inconspicuous area first', what other options are there (including suitable primers which would work with the 2-pack and the touch up paint in adjoining/overlapping areas)?

I found after a few months even unactivated the 2 pack thickened and became too thick to use.

I took the air vent flap to a local firm who matched it in Acrylic Aerosol. I find for small chips spray a small amount into the cap or a jar and leave it 5-15 mins depending on weather and it thickens up nicely and can be applied with a small artists brush. Same for grey primer.

Cellulose thinners will clean the brush.

Chris

chip repair 2k, I have a set of pencils with rubbers on the end I use a hole punch to produce circles

of wet and dry, which I stick on the end of the rubber, this allows the chip to be smoothed out, most important

if you want the chip to disappear, I then apply primer to the divot followed with the 2 k paint, a fine brush

I use camel hair, mix up small amounts, I use the brush to measure the amounts 2 to 1, built it up slowly bearing

in mind the paint will contract as it dries I leave it then for two or three days then sand back and polish out

You also need thinners for removing grease and cleaning brushes etc you can buy a mask for about 15 pounds

comes with a bag for storing it

pink

+1 for Pinky.

In addition I would tape off the area and use body stopper to fill chip after cleaning with wet/dry pencil pads. It gets a smooth finish before painting proud and polishing flat.

I personally would not do that, unless it is a really deep chip, 50th plus

by filing it with paint, and producing a head like a spot you can flatten back, and polish out,

I put an exstremly thin piece of metall (shim) over the spot 5th thick and flatten back to the thin shim

then polish out,

you are trying to keep the repair small, other than that fill it, rub back and spray the pannel

the pencil rubber keeps the repair exstremly small, spin it in your hands, do not move it from side to side

I normally make up 10 pencils at a time, remove the lead as it hurts us you get stabed by the point

hope this helps pink