Gear lever anti rattle spring

Does anyone have experience of fitting an anti rattle spring and plunger to TR gear levers. All TRs seem to use the same two parts.

My gear lever rattled when accelerating hard so I took it out to replace the spring in the bottom end of the lever. The new spring from Rimmers is almost twice as long as the old one and it protrudes from the hole so much that there is no location for the plunger, which, with the old spring, would fit in and slightly protrude from the hole.

Assuming the spring is the correct length, where is the plunger supposed to locate. ?

Any advice would be welcomed.

Pete

Do a Google for rattling TR gear lever and you should find the fix. Use your original spring and fit a short length of rubber hose on the gear lever. Works a treat and silent gear gear lever. Mine rattled like hell and took away much pleasure from the experience.

The current springs are usually too long, if you dont have your original then either find a shorter one or cut down the new one so that when fitted with the plunger it will compress far enough so the plunger is just protruding very slightly when full compressed, then fit a small cable tie pulled tight round it to retain it then you can fit the gear stick into place with a smart tap downwards which will then displace the cable tie. Clip it off afterwards with some snips.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

I shorten the spring to make it fit. Just enough so it's not coil bound when fully compressed. Also use a plastic tie wrap around G/L ball to compress spring and plunger, carefully position G/L in position and apply sharp tap to top of G/L. Other methods may apply :) but it works for me.

Alan.

I believe that the spring in question is the same as fitted in 3rd/Top gear sleeve. Used as a gearbox lever anti rattle spring they become compressed and ineffective over the years. Having rebuilt my 'box some years ago I keep the old synchro ones and use as required for the lever.

James

As above - a tie wrap is a good way to hold the spring and plunger in place when fitting into a modern. (post TR4)

With earlier cars you can get your fingers in there to hold it - but the tie wrap is a benefit.

I too have made my own springs and plungers over the years and as has been said, be sure the spring does not go coil bound when fitted.

Peter W

PS TR2 did not have provision for an anti rattle spring and ball in the gear lever base - that said you would not hear it rattling over the single silencer exhaust system.....