beware of that nice cotton covered top radiator hose

Temperature went up - opened the bonnet - saw a top hose pissing down.

Nothing to be seen on the outside but there is a huge split in the rubber. Hose was a couple of years old, I replaced an old smooth ribbed rubber example as that was getting old (20+ years). But I did not threw away the old one... so that is fitted now again. Will be buying a new one though.

post-2169-0-90603700-1531857053_thumb.jpg

post-2169-0-62906700-1531857068_thumb.jpg

Not all top hose are made the same.

That failed hose looks like one of the far east remakes from some years ago, that were removed from the market quite quickly; or perhaps a very old stock genuine Unipart GRH453. You say you bought it a couple of years ago - that fits with the far east remake stuff.

What radiator pressure cap are you using?

NOTE 7 lb pressure is max specified for TR4/4A.

Even though you can buy and simply fit an higher rated one (from a '73 on TR6) they may cause problems, unless you have done other precautionary work. An higher pressure radiator cap will just raise the pressure and the boiling point of the water in the cooling system.

The belling out of each end of the hose is a visual feature original un-reinforced hoses suffered from. - I have various used samples in that shape.

Help Is at Hand - I have been working on this TR2-4A top hose for over a year now. The top hoses are in the throws of being re-manufactured now with stockinette covering, & integral cotton string mesh reinforced EPDM polymer. They look as correct as genuine but are constructed with modern string mesh reinforced EPDM polymer with a stockinette covering that performs better than the original non reinforced natural rubber hose. - Your failed item has no string mesh reinforcer in the 'rubber', which is probably part of the reason it swelled and split.

A quantity of the newly re-manufactured hoses are out on continuous test in TR Register member's cars and have been for some months now. No failures of the hoses nor catastrophes have been caused by the hose swelling, splitting or leaking. One car recently boiled in traffic and blew its head gasket, but not because of the re-manufactured hose the car was testing. Just high ambient temperature and the radiator not cooling sufficiently.

PM me as I may be able to help.

Cheers

Peter W

PS Here is a prestige classic car parts supplier who hated the junk that was being offered, and inspired me to get the TR 2-4A top hose made correctly.

https://www.introcar.co.uk/radiator-bottom-hose-p171

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Peter,

Im often impressed by your knowledge of our parts and the effort you (and your colleagues?) take to improve the parts.

Thank you,

Waldi

Hi, I own my TR4A since 9 years.

It came with a 13 PSI radiator cap, still fitted, which allows higher preasure and collant temperature - if needed by the situation.

Higher temperature gives more cooling power the the radiator.

110 degrees Celsius this summer was no problem on a sunny day, 30 degress C after 1 hour stop and go on the autobahn.

Not even any coolant has been blown out in the overflow bottle.

I changed all hoses when I bought the car, so this is 9 years ago, suplied from xxxxx .

All of them have a texture in between layers of rubber.

I see no reason at all to change them now after 9 years.

To fit them on the car it is a good idea to put them some minutes in hot water so make them more elastic.

The upper hose between thermostat housing and radiator I cut some cm (!) shorter to set it easier in place.

I use the oriningal wire clamps, can't count how often I set it in pieces and together again, the connection is always water proof without problrms.

Ciao Marco

Edited by Z320

We have some of Peters hoses on long term test down here and they have performed faultlessly even in the temperatures encountered lately.

Stuart.

I know I have said this before but do not fit a 13 lb cap if you have a bellows type thermostat. 7 lb is as high as you can go.

Edited by peejay4A

Hi Pete,

Always eager to learn: can you explain why not?

Thanks,

Waldi

Edited by Waldi

The bellows cannot overcome the increased pressure and the thermostat will not open, fully or not at all.

The increased pressure is throughout the system, so on both (all) sides of the stat.

Or is the bellow a sealed area (space) and this will then be compressed more by the static pressure?

I have never seen one in real.

Thanks,

Waldi

The increased pressure is throughout the system, so on both (all) sides of the stat.

Or is the bellow a sealed area (space) and this will then be compressed more by the static pressure?

I have never seen one in real.

Thanks,

Waldi

The latter - the bellow is sealed, & contains mainly air with a bit of fluid which vaporises at a certain temperature, & increases the internal pressure, which opens up the bellows to move the valve towards the open position.

If the external pressure is excessive, then this will comprimise the working of it.

Bob.

• 1 year later...

Update on tests of the remanufactured stockinette covered GRH 453 top hose that Moss are now selling  - nothing adverse to report from anyone anywhere in the world.

For those who want a real genuine NOS item - Have just spotted someone selling an original top hose 'John Bull' branded (who made them for Triumph)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEA-FRANCIS-TRIUMPH-RENOWN-TR2-TR3-TR3A-GENUINE-JOHN-BULL-RADIATOR-TOP-HOSE/143599249448?hash=item216f2ea828:g:aCsAAOSwbFFetRnq

Cheers

Peter W

31 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Update on tests of the remanufactured stockinette covered GRH 453 top hose that Moss are now selling  - nothing adverse to report from anyone anywhere in the world.

Another positive here - mine has only done about 1k miles but has been off and back on a couple of times. No sign of deterioration.

Pete