Heater Squeals like a cat on a hot plate

Hello All. Just joined today although I've owned my 1972 TR6 since 05. Life has kindly afforded me the luxury of now being able to make some much needed improvements. One of the things I wanted to tackle was the heater. Currently it has the most drowning squeal when it's switched on. I suspect in the dim and distant that someone has been meddling as there are no hoses to the dash vents either and all the controls on the dash are loose, or spin round. My question is how easy is it to remove the unit and what overhaul items I should be doing. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Many thanks

Welcome to the forum.

Mine was really loud but has gone quiet, so either something has stopped turning or it needed to be used!

The dash outlets are fresh air only, though the still need to be connected to somewhere, I think I need to take a look at my heater too. The one thing I've done is order a heater valve and then I'll go under the dash and see what I've got, will watch this thread with interest.

Hi Gretna65 and welcome.

Do you have a name?

As for the heater...... wait until the winter months, if the car is going well just have fun!

As for removal it’s not the easiest of jobs but you would need drain the coolant. remove the instruments as a start and the H frame and the veneered dash. Then the gearbox tunnel and the glove box. You can then see more closely what you are up against. To start with a good spay of something like WD40 on the mount nuts. If they are really rusted on don’t over do trying to loosen them as you may possible rip the studs from the car structure.

It is just nuts and bolts just a bit awkward.

The fix is to switch it off and re-start it until it goes quietly. I've had this since the '70s with my TR250s. One or two re-starts does it. They'll run forever despite that shortcoming.

Otherwise, prepare for a pig of a job to remove the unit. Then, cope with the fact that replacement motors don't fit - they're smaller and provision has to be made to close the resulting gaps in the unit's cowling to prevent excess leakage of the blower draft. Oh, and be extremely careful when removing the fan blade from the motor shaft - they break very easily and are NLA ( you'll have to find a discarded heater assembly and hope for better luck next time, assuming the fan blade on it is OK ).

Cheers,

Tom

I managed to get the heater out by only removing the ashtray, tachometer, glove box and console panels. With the millimetres of clearance left and with 3 hands and a crowbar as a lever it became a simple job

I replaced my heater with a Clayton. I only wanted to do this job once.

Mine is loud when I turn it on, it's best to put it on the first setting until it stops (not long) then switch to the full.

I was in Innsbruck a couple of years ago waiting in a filter lane to turn left and up over the Brenner Pass, a young lad pulled up beside me reving the nuts off his motor. I turned the heater on full and it was screaming, looked over to the lad then looked at his car as if that was the problem.

By then the heater went quiet, the lights changed and I was away, looked in the mirror and he'd popped the bonnet, i doubt he ever found the problem, I couldn't stop laughing.

Dave

Hi Gretna65 - And welcome

During the rebuild of a TR5, I re-built the heater motor and you may find my blog a useful reference. See Chapter 11, about half way down the photos page.

Here's the link

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/rebuilders-diary/2018/03/0117/TR5-Patience-Rebuild-Chapter-11-February-2017-to-April-2017

This has been in the car for a few months now, and it work's really really well. Well pleased.

best Bill